Chapter fourteen - A question answered

Anabelle closed her eyes as she leaned against Mr. Fielding's chest, listening to the comforting drum-like beat of his heart. The unfamiliar masculine aromas of coffee, polish and some kind of spice tickled her nose, and her fingertips grazed the soft lapel of his coat until she reached the top button, embossed with a raised design.

The only tangible remnant of their kiss was a slight tingling across her bottom lip, but she would never forget how her breath caught in her throat as she felt the gentle caress of his mouth upon hers.

The silence in the clearing lengthened as he cradled her within his protective embrace. She never imagined that being held in a man's arms would generate such contentment.

Yet this perfect state of happiness could be no more than a brief moment; a pause in time where even the most unlikely of events are possible before her life resumed its inevitable course. The disappointment rising from that thought escaped as a sigh. "I wish we could remain like this forever."

His quiet laugh echoed inside his chest. "It might get a little chilly once the evening draws in, but I am willing to brave the elements if you are."

As appealing as the idea was, Anabelle knew she could not stay. She had already tarried for too long and paid the price—losing the last piece of her heart to the man holding her so tenderly. "I think Mrs Latimer would have something to say about that." She tried to smile and laid a comforting hand upon his arm. "Besides, you will soon be returning to Yorkshire and will quickly forget the friends you have made here."

He stilled beneath her fingers then released her and sat back, the better to look into her eyes. "I have no intention of forgetting you. On the contrary, I had hoped you would come with me. You could even continue Joe's lessons if you desire. I am sure he would be happier accepting the position in Yorkshire if he knew you would be there."

An image of young Joe, devouring the education he so craved, could only be a minor consolation. "You paint an attractive picture, but we both know it cannot be."

The lines across his brow grew more pronounced, his voice tinged with frustration. "I am not making sport of you, nor toying with your affections. I love you, and I want you for my wife."

His declaration hit her like a bolt of lightning from a clear blue sky. She had never imagined Mr. Fielding would be so bold as to make her an offer. "Y..your wife?"

An impatient hiss escaped from between his teeth and he shook his head. "I did not intend to speak so bluntly. My heart whispered the desire that my head had barely considered. Yet now those words are free I have no wish to reclaim them." He reached out, his fingers resting upon hers as he turned to face her.  "Miss Latimer, would you do me the honour of accepting my hand in marriage?"

Any spark of pleasure Anabelle might have felt at the earnest nature of his proposal was smothered by the knowledge that she could never accept what would be the greatest wish of her heart. She jumped up and staggered back from the log, until she felt the rough, sandy texture of the barn wall behind her.

"Mr. Fielding, I am sensible of the compliment you pay me, but it is not necessary, I assure you. I may be unworldly, but am not so innocent as to think myself ruined by one kiss."

As he moved towards her she deflected him with her outstretched palm, and he held himself back. "Please do not mistake my intentions. I did not make you this offer because of my behaviour, as reprehensible as it may have been. I want to marry you because I cannot imagine leaving Blackwood without you by my side."

She was already shaking her head before he had finished. "You know I must decline."

"You do not mean that."