Chapter four - The subject of gossip

The news of Sir Henry's departure from the neighbourhood, so soon after his arrival, caused a great deal of consternation among his neighbours; chiefly the ladies who had made him the focus of their social plans. However, they soon forgave his sudden flight when they discovered his intention to return from town with a party of friends.

"I understand he is bringing his sister, which can only be a good thing," said Mrs Latimer as they sat in the parlour. "Blackwood Hall has been a bachelor household for as long as I can remember. Mrs North says that the great table in the south dining room will seat twenty at least, but I don't remember the last time Sir George held any dinners, not even for the gentlemen. If Miss Mountford is to keep house for her brother we may finally see it for ourselves. Indeed, with a bit of effort on your part you might even preside over it as mistress one day."

Anabelle raised her eyes from her book. Apart from herself and Mrs Latimer, the only other person present was Marianne, the eldest of her half-sisters, who was too young to be a target of her mother's marriage plans.

"Sir Henry is, by all accounts, a worthy successor to his uncle, and his fortune only adds to his attractions," Mrs Latimer reminded her.

"That may be so, but I wonder how much of that fortune will be left once he has put Blackwood Hall to rights?"

Mrs Latimer chose to ignore what she couldn't answer, instead saying, "I will speak to your father about ordering you some new dresses. When we are invited to dinner I know Mr. Latimer will want you to look your best."

Any reply Anabelle might have made was interrupted by the arrival of Selina and Diana, recently returned from visiting their aunt in Haltford.

"Belle, you sly thing. You never told us Blackwood's new steward was handsome," Diana said as she dropped her reticule on the sofa. "Or so young."

Although Anabelle had mentioned the circumstances behind her visit to the Blackwood steward, she had neglected to enlighten her family about the gentleman she had found sitting behind the desk. She certainly hadn't expected Mr. Fielding to become a topic of discussion around the neighbourhood. "How does his age concern us? If Sir Henry thinks him capable of discharging his duties then our opinions are nothing."

Mrs Latimer discarded a shirt she had been half-heartedly sewing for one of the boys. "When did you meet him?"

"Oh, we didn't," Diana said, her sulky pout reflecting her disappointment. "Mrs North stopped to take tea with Aunt Orton. We asked her what she thought about Mr. Fielding, and she admitted he almost equalled her new master in looks." She leaned forward and lowered her voice. "And it seems he is quite the mystery."

"How so?" asked Mrs Latimer.

"Well, when they arrived Sir Henry instructed Mrs North to put Mr. Fielding in the best guest bedroom, and she says they talk like the oldest of friends. Yet he spends all his time in Mr. Burgin's office, up to his eyes in dust, and although Sir Henry has returned to town Mr. Fielding will remain at the Hall, overseeing the repairs."

Mrs Latimer shrugged, sending her shawl sliding down to her elbows. "I would expect nothing less of Sir Henry's steward. Why is it so surprising that he should stay and do the work he is paid for?"

Selina sat beside Anabelle. "Before he left Sir Henry told Mrs North that Mr. Fielding would dine alone in the south dining room!"

Anabelle and Marianne gasped, while Mrs Latimer shook her head. "I'll swear to it Mr. Burgin never ate in any dining room. Not unless it was the Widow Oldroyd's dining parlour, and that's nothing to shout about."