Chapter ten - Digesting disappointment

The sight of Woodside's black iron gates had never before brought such relief, and Anabelle could not get through them fast enough.

She had been surprised when Mr. Fielding had come upon them while she taught Joe in the clearing by the barn. It seemed unlikely that he had discovered their meeting place by chance, and the idea of him seeking her out had pleased her beyond measure. For a brief time she had even forgotten his position, thinking of him as no more or less than a pleasant companion. Only when they were walking to Woodside did he reveal the news that turned all her happiness to bitter disappointment.

As they followed the carriage drive towards the house, she wondered whether this would be the last time she spoke to Mr. Fielding. He said he would be leaving Blackwood Hall, but had given no inkling when that event might occur. Yet she could not bring herself to bid him a final farewell. Instead she thanked him for his escort.

"It was my pleasure, Miss Latimer. And may I take this opportunity to say that if you require any further assistance while your father is recovering please consider me at your disposal. Not that you need my help. You appear to be coping admirably."

Although Anabelle was not insensible of his compliment, the pleasure she felt at his praise was no recompense for the future loss of his friendship. "Might you be at Blackwood Hall for a while longer then?"

"Long enough."

Anabelle doubted she would take up his offer of assistance. She was not sure her heart could stand it. She thanked him again before opening the front door. They were met in the hallway by Mrs Crossley, who showed neither shock nor censure at her returning home in the company of an unknown gentleman. Although she knew her father would be in his chamber, she asked Mr. Fielding to wait downstairs while she checked he was awake and prepared to receive his visitor.

As expected she found Mr. Latimer in his favourite chair, staring out of the window. "Papa?"

He smiled at the sound of her voice. "Yes, my dear?"

"Mr. Fielding is downstairs. Will you receive him?"

Her father's quiet acceptance and lack of surprise confirmed that their arrival had been observed by at least one member of her family. "Of course, please show him in. After an hour listening to Mrs Latimer complaining about the butcher, I would welcome some intelligent conversation."

Anabelle made no mention of the steward's intended departure, instead allowing her father to discover the news for himself. She returned some minutes later with Mr. Fielding and made the necessary introductions. Once the two men had completed the formalities, she escaped to her room to consider the implications of the shocking news he had so recently revealed.

Mr. Fielding would soon leave Blackwood Hall.

As she repeated the fact to herself she felt a sharp spasm of disappointment in her chest. She had watched him from beneath her lashes as he sat across the clearing, waiting for Joe's lesson to end. As handsome as he had looked, sitting patiently on the stump with the air of a gentleman, it was not only his countenance that pleased. There had been a comfortable humour in his eyes and generous respect in his tone as he had asked about her father's plans for the estate.

She had known from the beginning that there could never be more than friendship between them. However, she had not realised until today how important it was that she might still occasionally pass the time of day with him, greet him on the High Street in Haltford, or share a nod and a smile across the church on a Sunday.

To discover that he would soon return to his home and position in Yorkshire—more than a hundred miles distant—left her in low spirits indeed.

Anabelle heard muffled voices in the hallway and composed herself just before Diana and Marianne burst into her room, the former wagging an admonishing finger. "We saw you walking down the drive with a man. Who was it?"