Chapter 4

Logan left the room and walked outside, taking out another cigar from his pocket and lighting it.  He should have known better than to think any task the Professor gave was easy. He tossed the cigar on the ground, stepping on it to put it out.  He was sure he could, in time, convince Kaya to come back to the school, he just wasn’t too happy he was going to have to stick around until then. He supposed he should call and let the professor know what was going on. Letting out a deep sigh he pulled out his cell phone and dialed the Professor.

“Logan, how are things?” Xavier answered.

“I may be here a while.” Logan complained. “She doesn’t want to come, but I’m sure that I can convince her otherwise.”

“I figured. I’m sending Storm over with some clothes.” He replied, causing Logan to smirk. Figures he already knows. He thought to himself.  “Oh, and Logan? Don’t take too long.” With that he hung up. He really didn’t see why bringing Kaya back was such a big deal. Magneto already had a shape-shifter, did he really need another one?

“Dinner is ready.” A familiar voice called out from behind him. He turned around to see Kaya standing on the porch. Logan simply nodded and followed her in.

“So, Logan, what is it that you do for a living?” Kaya’s mother asked as they passed around the bowl of pasta.

“Uhm, I’m a professor at-” he stated but was interrupted by Kaya, who kicked him in the knee under the table. “I’m, uh, actually in between jobs right now.”

Kaya’s mother didn’t look impressed. “Shame.” She said with a sour look plastered on her face. The rest of the dinner continued on in silence, no one really wanting to speak out and break it. Logan could tell that Kaya’s mother wasn’t a pleasant person to be around, and her Aunt was just as bad.  He wondered how Kaya did it, how she put up with them. The Professor had mentioned that she was a prior student of his, so she must have run off when she was younger. Why then did she return?

They were just about done when there was a knock on the door. Kaya’s mother went to answer it and, the curiosity killing him, Logan got up to see who it was as well. A young woman, who looked a little bit older than Kaya, stood at the door. She was dressed far too nicely to be attending a small birthday party for Kaya’s mother and Logan wondered who she was. That’s when it happened. Breeze blew in through the door, carrying the stranger’s scent with it. Logan took a deep breath in and nearly froze. He knew this smell all too well; it was the smell of his enemy.

Mystique.

“Step away from her!” he called out, running up to put himself in between Mrs. Millard and Mystique. “She’s not who she appears to be!”

“Oh Logan, so you do remember me?” Mystique let out a laugh.

“If you know what’s good for you, you’ll turn around and leave.” He threatened, staring her down.

“Sorry, can’t do.” She smiled. “I’m here for the girl.”

“Guess you’ll be leaving empty handed then.” He retorted.

His claws slid out. Kaya’s mother screamed.