Chapter 11

He couldn’t possibly know. There’s no way…Kaya thought to herself as she left Professor Xavier’s office. But, of course he did. She had almost forgotten that he could read minds.

Almost.

But surely  he wouldn’t probe her mind without asking?  It had been a while since she had spoken to Xavier, but she remembered that he was polite and had never read her mind without asking, could that have changed? She shook the thought from her mind, not even wanting to think about it.

“How does it feel to be back?” Storm asked, attempting to make friendly conversation, but all Kaya wanted was to be alone.

“Weird.” She replied stiffly, her arms crossed closely to her chest.  “I never thought I would be back.” She added with a sigh. It was the truth, when she left this place; she thought she would be leaving it for good. Never in a million years would she believe she would ever come back, and yet here she was. Though not by choice.

“I’m sure you’ll get used to it.” Storm smiled. Kaya knew that she was only trying to be nice, but she wished that she would just leave her to her own thoughts. She would never really be used to being back here, not really, but she didn’t have the heart to tell that to Storm. “Well, here is your room.” Storm smiled as they reached a well-sized room, complete with a made-up bed and her very own bathroom. Kaya had to admit, she was impressed.

“Thank you.” She whispered, a small smile on her face as she looked around the room.

“And here are some clothes.” Jean Grey added, walking in carrying Pajamas as well as some pants and shirts. “It’s not much, but it will have to do for now.” She handed them to Kaya.

“They’ll work; I still have some clothes as well from home.” She added, just remembering the clothes that they had packed. “Thank you.”

“We’ll let you rest now.” Storm stated, walking out of the room, shutting the door behind them.

Finally. She thought to herself when they had left. Placing the clothes on her bed, she made her way to the bathroom.  She looked in the mirror; the girl staring back at her was a lie, which Kaya knew all too well. Hiding a part of who she really was. Her hand balled up into a fist and before she could even think about what she was doing, she smashed the mirror.

Kaya’s hand felt as though it was on fire, blood running  from her knuckles and down  her arm. However, right before her very eyes, the cuts began to heal. She was use to that though, just another one of her “gifts.” Turning the sink on, she washed the blood off of her arm. She supposed she would have to explain the broken mirror tomorrow, but she wasn’t going to worry about that right now.

She crawled into bed, pulling the white, cotton, sheets close to her face. The smelled like lilacs, and she assumed they must have recently been washed. It was a comfortable bed though, and that’s all she really cared about. Kaya was exhausted and she quickly drifted to sleep.

Thunder rang out, causing the small, metal, cage Kaya was in to shake. She let out a whimper, silently hoping that no harm would come to her. The room was dark, and she could barely see her hands in front of her face. All she knew was that she was in a cage, and that she had to get out.

“Help!” She cried out. “Please, someone help me!”

No answer.

“Help me!” she tried again, but still no reply. Kaya was beginning to become frustrated. What if she never got out? What then?  

“Oh, you’re not getting out any time soon.” A voice called out. Wait a minute…Kaya knew that voice. Her heart began to race, fear coursing through her. No, no this couldn’t be, not him…not here.

A dim light appeared, showing a familiar face.

Stryker.

Kaya woke up screaming.

She couldn’t remember the last time she had that dream, it had been years. Why did it reappear all of a sudden? A knock on the door snapped Kaya from her thoughts.  The door opened, revealing a very worried looking Logan.

“You okay?” he asked, rushing over to her.

“It was just a nightmare.” She answered, still breathing heavily.

“Want to talk about it?” he asked, but she just shook her head. No, if she talked about it then they would find out, and that was something that just couldn’t happen, she was far too ashamed of it. She grasped her hand out of habit, quickly releasing it when she realized what she was doing.

“No, I’ll be fine.” She lied, looking away.

“You know you can come talk to me about anything?” Logan looked down at her, but she refused to meet his gaze.

“Why do you even care?” she whispered, her breathing slowly returning to normal.

“Because you deserve a friend here.” He answered, causing her to look up. Was that what they were, friends? Kaya found herself smiling.

“I guess that’s a good reason.” She mused, causing Logan to chuckle.

“You gonna be alright?” he asked again.

“Yes, I’ll be fine.” She waved him off, pulling the covers back over herself. “It was just a dream, after all.”

“Alright then.” Logan nodded. “See you tomorrow.”

“Night.” She replied, laying back down as he left, but she didn’t fall back asleep, in fear that the nightmare would return. That she would have to re-live it all over again.

It wasn’t so much a nightmare, as a memory.