Chapter 31

Kaden

She laid naked on my chest as her hair fell over me. She was breathing deeply and calmly, which meant she was already fast asleep.

I looked at her and caressed her back with my fingers, because I couldn't sleep. The past haunted me. Although I tried to make her closeness and touch to put me to sleep, I just couldn't.

Guided by the fact that my father was suffocated in his sleep, I was traumatized by that act which only made me sleep very little. The fact that another person was sleeping next to me additionally aroused in me anxiety and fear caused by trauma. Even if that person is the one I fall in love with.

It was the middle of the night and the fire was quietly smoldering. I slowly slipped out of Ocean's embrace and took her in my arms to carry her to bed. Her lips twitched as if about to wake up, but her body was limp and she continued to dream.

I lowered her fragile body slowly on the mattress and covered her with a blanket. I sat on the edge of the bed, watching her silky skin streaked with strands of her long hair, which spilled over her upper body.

Closing my eyes tightly, I took a deep breath. I wanted so much to lie down next to her and experience what I told her. To let her warm me with her divine body at night and wake me up with sleepy kisses in the morning.

Outside, I fought against much more dangerous and deadly people, but here in my bed within these walls, I was afraid to lie down next to an innocent and fragile creature. Only to sleep.

I started to get up slowly, while the sheets under me rustled. Suddenly Ocean reached out her hand, placing her palm on mine. Her long fingers intertwined with mine and she squeezed me tight.

Her dreamy eyes were half open, captivating me with their greenery. The room was dark, and a teeny rays of fire illuminated only a few silhouettes.

''Stay.''

She said gently, wanting to pull me into her dream land. I was silent. But screaming with all my being. One word made me face my deep fear. Such a small word and such a great trauma behind it.

Unconsciously, I began to rise, but her grip tightened.

''Please. Stay.''

Her eyes were now completely open and looking at me innocently and pleadingly. I swallowed a lump in my throat and let out a breath I wasn't even aware I was holding inside.

I settled down lightly beside her, wrapping my arms around her from behind. I wrapped my arms, over her belly and she laid her palms on mine.

My stiff body slowly began to relax as I inhaled the gorgeous scent of her hair. I can't and don't want to fall asleep but I'll be here. Next to her.

The morning painted the walls of the room and bathed the bed in its light beams. I yawned, letting my eyes get used to the light. And the fact that for the first time I managed to spend the night with a woman. With Ocean.

I rolled my eyes, becoming aware of the fact that I had just succeeded to really get some sleep. Sleep. Especially next to the Ocean.

I kissed her bare shoulder, smiling. She wasn't even aware of how much liberation I was just feeling. She was my therapy and my psychotherapist in one.

She turned, smiling at me and caressing my face with her gentle hands. I approached her and touched her with the tip of my nose.

''Good morning beauty.''

''Good morning. . . fuck! ''

Suddenly she opened her eyes wide, jumping out of bed and covering herself with the sheets.