Chapter 33

Ocean

"Fuck, fuck."

I got out of the elevator and rushed to the reception desk, tying my hair in a messy hair bun. I looked at the clock that struck 8.03.

I quickly started the computer and reviewed the schedule Jaxon had for today. Even my breathing had not calmed down from the haste I had fallen into when he suddenly appeared in front of me.

He was serious and stiff. Something that didn't look like him at all. He wore a briefcase in one hand and adjusted his tie with the other.

"Ocean, cancel all my appointments for today and reschedule them for another day."

I nodded, trying to figure out what it was all about.

"Of course, sir."

"I have been informed by a private hospital where my father is being hospitalized, that he will be released home today. I won't return to work today. "

"Of course, I'm glad to hear your father is better."

''Yeah. . . see you tomorrow then. "

Jaxon said and stepped toward the elevator. His phone rang and he paused as he read something on it. He turned to me with a wide smile, which was the total opposite of that stiff expression on his face a few moments ago.

He put the phone back in his pocket and came to the counter.

"Give me paper and a pen."

I took them and gave them to him. He wrote something short and then handed me a piece of paper.

"Send a bouquet of red roses to this address."

'' Of course, I will do that right away.''

I answered him, and he had already formed in front of the elevator and disappeared behind the platinum door.

I picked up the phone and called the florist we were working with. As it rang on the other side of the line, I looked down at the piece of paper. Next to the address, the name and the message were written.

Aria, I'm not giving up on you.

'' Flower corner, may I help you? ''

A chirping female voice said.

"Hello, is anybody there?"

I shook my head and realized I hadn't answered anything to the woman, with my mouth wide open in surprise.

"Yes, I'm sorry, I'd like to make an order for roses to be delivered to the address, if possible."

After I finished talking, I kept looking at that piece of paper. Aria, Kaden's sister? Should I ask Kaden something about this or keep quiet anyway?

Something about it bothered me and I didn't know if I should even interfere. It is obviously complicated, for he wrote in the message I will not give up on you.

After much brainstorming, I decided not to be the one who will start first that topic with him, but if the opportunity arose I will somehow mention.

I didn't have too much to do during the day since Jaxon wasn't there, so we didn't have to work with clients. I had plenty of time to think. If I ask myself, maybe too much to overthink.

And so the previous night slipped through my mind constantly. I could not understand why Kaden insisted on me quitting my job. Is he actually mad at Jaxon for trying to be with his sister so he doesn't want me to be around him?

If so, he could have explained it to me nicely. But still that doesn't sound to me like a reasonable explanation for resigning. Does Kaden can't stand him, even though they are business partners?

But what bothered me the most was that I also had too many secrets hiding  from Kaden. I asked him for some honesty, and I myself was not honest with him. I had no right to ask for any explanations, when I was also the one full of deeply hidden secrets.

"Ugh."

My head was pounding from the mighty thoughts thundering through my mind. I dipped my face into my palms, trying to cool off.

Beep beep. I got a message.

Have you quit your job yet?

Don't be silly, you know I won't even consider it until you give me some logical explanation.

Come by my place tonight, I'll try to convince you :).

Are you really willing to explain to me  your possessive efforts to lose my job?

Um, I'm not going to explain anything to you. I'll try to convince you in some other way.

typing...

The way you like.

I think fifty shades of red have changed on my face. My cheeks burned at the very thought of him, because I loved him in every possible way. Wait, what? Love? 

"Good afternoon miss Bailey, I have one delivery for you."

The young courier handed me the envelope and left without a word or need to sign anything.

The envelope was white, without any information, neither about the sender nor about the recipient, that is, obviously me. Just blank. I opened it and there was a small white paper inside. I took it out and only four numbers were written on it.

2109

I turned the paper over and looked at it on both sides, as well as the envelope again. There was nothing else written except that number.

2109, what is this supposed to mean?

At that moment, a sad thought came to my mind. My mother. That was her date of birth. Coincidence, but a very painful coincidence for me.

My phone vibrated and beside Kaden's unopened message, there was another new one. From Ian.

The time has come.

----------------------

What do you think Ian meant when he wrote ‚‚The time has come‚‚? What is her task, her first job?