Chapter 18: Ivory Ida

A/N: Sorry this took so long to publish! In all honesty, I had it written down, but the pacing seemed off to me. So, I spent a few weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I really hope you enjoy the story!❤️

The voice rings out into the darkness, slowly fading away to leave a penetrable silence. Both creatures turn to you, staring at you with shock and disbelief. Lofty takes in a shaky breath, seemingly about to speak, until Caligo bellows out in anger.

"NO!" The shadowy minotaur's voice booms with fury, causing your body to freeze in place. The weather seems to transform with his mood as lightning strikes the sky and thunder ruptures throughout the ever-darkening clouds.

Lofty's head flicks to the dark creature, disbelief still present in his black eye sockets. He figures Caligo must have heard the voice too, but wonders if the voice sounded as familiar to Caligo as it does to him.

The black bull-like creature lets out an angered grumble of a huff, his head shaking as if he's attempting to convince himself that he didn't hear what he thought he did. He growls loudly, before turning his attention back to you. "You are dead, Ida!"

Your breath catches in your throat at his booming words. You can tell that Caligo doesn't know English anywhere near as well as Lofty, but you can still make his words out perfectly, and what he said sends a jolt of fear up your spine. He speaks as if Ida stands right in front of him, but as your wide eyes flick around in search for another dark form you come to the realization that you're the only human among these two creatures.

Your legs suddenly give out from underneath you as a wave of lightheadedness causes your head to bob unsteadily. Lofty's tail keeps you up as it tightens around your waist. He gives you a concerned stare, his brows anxiously furrowed as he attempts to keep you standing upright.

You blink rapidly, seeing Lofty and Caligo staring at you with mixed emotions. The black creature stands as if he is about to pounce on you and tear his claws into your skin, his white eyes giving off the same murderous vibe.

Your eyes tightly close as another, more intense wave of nausea and lightheadedness hits you. Something forces its way out of your body, as if your soul is unwillingly being ripped from you. Your jaw clenches at the pain. It is barely bearable. You feel as if your own breath is being sucked out of your collapsing lungs, leaving you with no oxygen as the world around you appears to start spinning.

A wave of relief follows shortly after the odd sensation of your soul being torn in half. The nausea washes away as you tiredly rub at your now pounding head. You have never felt so relieved and empty before, like part of you is gone but you know you're better off without it.

An overwhelming brightness makes your face scrunch up before you're able to barely peek one eye open. Both creatures stand rigid as they stare wide-eyed at the bright light. You glance at the white light, your head tilting as you realize that it is shaped like a female human.

You can only see her back, with her front facing towards Caligo, but with your eyes squinting open you can make out her long, flowing hair and ivory white nightgown. The sight causes your breath to catch in your tightening throat. You're left utterly speechless by the sight.

Lofty takes in a sharp breath, his voice timid and unsure. "Ida?" He questions the bright light, causing her head to slowly turn in his direction. You see her give a small nod, her proper posture giving her an elegant appearance. She turns her full attention back to Caligo, her cold stare causing his muscles to grow tense.

"I believe the young lady has suffered enough from me inhabiting her body. I must depart so as to not disturb her any further." The female explains, causing everything to click in your mind as you release an unsteady breath.

The memories, the resemblance, it all makes sense now. You were remembering Ida's memories, and that's why they were memories that you never actually experienced. Ida had already experienced them.

Her mind must have been slowly intertwining with yours, causing your memories to merge with one another. You start to wonder, how long has Ida's spirit been in you?

Caligo huffs in irritation as he forcefully shakes his head in disbelief. "Why?" The shadow creature asks, keeping his eyes cast to the ground as he keeps his head hanging low. He looks defeated. Even though Ida hasn't spoken yet, he still looks as if she has bombarded him with punishments for his terrible actions and rude behavior.

She lets out a weary sigh. "A young lady mustn't suffer solely for being of my blood." Ida explains with a sad smile, glancing back behind herself to peek at you. for a split second, you get a small glimpse of her face. Even from the side, she looks so similar to you.

She hovers over to Caligo, then gently places her hand on his shoulder, causing him to glance up at her. His eyes hold a murderous glare, and yet her brows curl up into pity for him.

"Besides," She starts, her voice a low whisper. She leans closer to his ear, making you strain your hearing to listen in on what she is saying.

She cracks a soft smile. "You can not kill a human who has consumed fruit from The Tree Of Life."

And with that, she gently pats his shoulder before turning to you. You stare at her in awe. You may look eerily similar to her, but she seems to wear the face better than anyone ever could. And her nightgown, it fits her so perfectly, as if made just for her.

"Apologies, (y/n)." Her soft voice graces your ears. It's so odd how she looks like you, and yet her voice sounds nothing like yours. You knit your brows at her, your tired mind unable to comprehend anything, let alone understand her reason for apologizing.

She gently smiles at you, realizing that you still don't have a full grasp on what's happening. She lowers herself down to your height. "Your body is your own, and yet I used it for my selfish needs." She attempts to explain, her voice lacing with great sorrow.

Now you're extremely baffled, leaving you with rapidly blinking eyes and a perplexed expression. She merely smiles, her eyes gleaming with an undetectable emotion. She almost appears to look proud of you, but you're positive you're reading her expression wrong.

A booming roar breaks the silence, causing your heart to leap into your throat. You're pulled out of the way by Lofty's tail as Caligo lunges at Ida. You watch with wide eyes as her shoulders slump while she stays perfectly in place, not even attempting to move away from his claws.

His body fazes through her, only seeming to make him more angry. Lofty protectively pulls you beside him as he takes on an intimidating stance, readying himself in case of a battle.

Ida looks up at the shadowy creature, and unreadable emotion on her face, her glowing light deeply contrasting with his pitch black body. "Caligo, you can not kill what you have already destroyed. I stand here, a mere spirit of what I once was." She tries to calmly explain to the raging creature, but he only huffs while shaking his head, as if he doesn't want to believe her.

Another low growl rips through his throat as he scrunches up his nose and grits his teeth. His head flicks to you, his white eyes stabbing into your soul. You feel Lofty tighten his tail around you as Caligo lets out a low, guttural growl that makes your stomach churn from fear. His eyes pierce through your soul, striking terror into your frozen core.

"You are safe," He mutters through gritted teeth, his white eyes locking with your frightened orbs.

"But your daughter will not be."