When Flowers Spark Fires, Pt. 3

A/N: Photo by The_Forest's_Melody on Pinterest! They're a big fan and I really appreciate them!

Lofty's eyes widen, his head flicking to his fae companion as she flutters beside him. "The Tree Of Life." He breathes out, disbelief in his quiet tone. Missy gasps, her eyes growing wide as her mouth hangs open.

They stay motionless in Lofty's home, staring at each other with appalled expressions. Her eyes trail down to the book he's currently flipping through. It's an old, torn up Bible, currently opened on Genesis.

She wonders how he went from flipping through an encyclopedia to reading through Genesis. The words "Tree Of Life" jump out at her, like a sign of some sorts.

Her breathing increases. "Do you believe we have the probability of finding such a-?" She chokes on her own words, knowing that Lofty could easily pinpoint any tree.

That, or he already knows where it is.

~~~

"Oh my gosh, I thought you guys died." You breathe out, shoulders slumping as you watch Lofty and Missy emerge from the forest. Your flashlight trails from the both of them to examine the rest of the dark woods.

They both give you curious looks. Lofty tilts his head as his brows furrow. He glances at the fae, a brow raised at her. "She will not acknowledge our lack of presence, hm?" He asks with a growing smirk. Missy merely grins sheepishly, her cheeks tinting a light shade of pink.

You let out an exaggerated sigh as you look up at the sky. Your eyes widen, realization hitting your mind. "Do you guys know where Lily is?" You blurt out, seeing their faces change from confusion to concern. Dread settles into your tightening stomach. You bolt inside, leaving Lofty and Missy in the darkening night.

As you fling the front door open, a child's gleeful laughter fills your ears. Your mind whirls with questions. You slide into the living room, sighing out in relief as your eyes land on Lily playing in the crib. Your brows crinkle in confusion, but you ignore the clawing questions as you trot to the baby's side. "You have no idea how scared I-!" You start, freezing in place when you see what she's playing with.

You yank it out of her hands before picking her up with your other arm. Lofty and Missy watch with wide eyes and concerned gazes as you stomp onto the front porch with Lily tucked into your left arm. You huff, standing on the edge of the porch.

"Okay," You snap, holding up a small, red lighter in your hand as you grip Lily against your waist with your other arm. You tiredly sigh through your nose.

"Who gave the baby a lighter?"