21. Bittersweet

The Khans received the invitation to Aisha Ahmad's Aqeeqa a week prior

The Khans received the invitation to Aisha Ahmad's Aqeeqa a week prior. It was followed by a phone call from Neela Bashir, who left them with very little room for choice.

So on the day of the event, the ladies of the Khan household dressed in their finest clothes and headed for the venue. Katrina was in all white, as it per the dress code of the party. Her scarf surrounded her oval face in a single layer, and she had light makeup on. Her grandmother Zahira Khan lamented the entire ride over her unmarried granddaughters adorning in that 'inauspicious' color.

The party was being held at the fancy part of the city. Upon entering the convention hall, the group were ambushed by the color pink, flabbergasted by the fact that Neela Bashir had promised them this was a low-key event. Katrina's eyes grazed over some of the best-dressed women she had ever witnessed.

They were greeted by the hosts, Neela was accompanied by one of the prettiest girls Katrina had ever seen, and she had no doubt this was Salman's sister. With her was another man, exceptionally tall and broad shouldered, and in his arms was tucked a tiny baby in a little pink frock. Salman's eyes were gleaming in excitement since their arrival.

Malika and Tamara bonded quickly. Katrina was introduced to so many ladies she began blurring names and faces.

One of the Ahmad sisters was FaceTiming Dahlia.

"Can't believe I'm missing out on this!" The girl cried.

"We miss you too, Boo," Malika responded.

"How're the in-laws?" The third Ahmad sister, Lily asked.

Besides her appeared her husband, who Katrina immediately recognized as Salman's infamous best friend, Kaveh.

They were a lively brunch; albeit tight-knit. Katrina received at least a handful of gazes and reserved smiles.

Malika didn't pay much heed to Katrina's hesitancies, or any of her friends. She held her by the arm at some point, and kept her close to her side almost all evening, enthusiastically involving Katrina in different things. This was a Bashir trait, especially of the women, she had come to notice - to not really care what other people thought.