7. Fragile Hearts

...

Katrina Khan couldn't believe how lucky she had gotten with Ashiq Salehin.

They had met in university. He was the cute guy who often stared at her in the middle of Sociology 101. He offered her shy smiles whenever their eyes met, and found excuses to talk to her in the name of class projects.

Katrina nearly forgot how to breathe when she first realized what his attention on her truly meant. Tamara, her cousin and then classmate, sniggered to her one day and said, "that boy is so into you."

Katrina had never, in her life, even entertained the ideas of relationships like that. Being raised in a religious family, also as the eldest sibling of two brothers, her focus were set straight since childhood – education and ambition.

Katrina cut off the chord before he could even approach her. Told him flatly in the middle of a lecture one day that she wasn't interested and didn't appreciate him staring at her.

Ashiq was embarrassed, but he was respectful enough to stay clear off her from that day.

University ended soon, and they were throwing their caps into the air with the burden of entering the real world on their shoulders. Having excellent grades and top-notch extra-curricular participations to display – Katrina was immediately offered a position in her top choice of organization; where she also happened to randomly stumble into that boy from Sociology one day.

It was expected that things between them would be awkward considering their history; but it wasn't. She was exactly at the stage she had preparing herself for her entire life. Now after that achievement was unlocked, her focus had moved onto the next. Her parents were easing her into the idea of marriage, and got excited every time she went near a man during social gatherings.

So when she saw Ashiq the next time, her feelings towards him were more welcoming. Their chemistry was completely different this time; and coming across him felt like nothing but Fate.

He was sweet, respectful and kind – the kind of guy she knew her father would be proud of. It helped that their beliefs and view of life just aligned perfectly – like it was meant to be. After a couple months of lunch-room talks and stolen glances across the room, she told him directly if he wanted something serious with her, he would have to ask for her hand in marriage.

Ashiq was the embodiment of honor and respect, so he did not waste a second. Problem arose when their families entered the picture.

Arif Khan was hesitant when Katrina first spoke to him about Ashiq.

"Politics is a dirty business," he had said all his life.

However, her father gave in when he saw his daughter's face. He knew the girl was the kind to sacrifice her own wishes if he asked – without a word; and his love for her couldn't let her do that. So he gave the couple his blessings.