Something In The Lake:

The lake was beautiful and peaceful, birds chirped in the trees, the still and calm Blue water looked warm and inviting on the hot August day.
"Come on, let's get inside," my husband yelled to me standing beneath a tall Oak tree which partially covered him from view.
We had driven all the way to Blue Moon Lake for our Summer vacation and we were going to spend the rest of our Summer glamping before we headed back to New York again, I had never been glamping before and this was my first time going and I was excited to be doing it with the person I loved and had married for life - my soulmate Johnny.
"Ok give me a second," I said. I got out of the car and pulled my cardigan off, I rolled my trousers up and slowly walked over to where Johnny was standing besides the lake, he was leaning against a tree giving me an impatient but also teasing me with an 'I love you' type of look.
I hesitantly dipped my feet into the water, it was surprisingly warm, more warmer than I actually had expected it to be.
Johnny pushed away from the oak tree and came over to join me as I stood in the water, I moved away and grabbed his hand, we stood like that for a while, holding hands staring out at the lake, content with one another and at total peace and ease, we were the only two people out there and it made me happy that we were alone and had our privacy I had no idea what could go wrong later on.
We had been married for three years and were each others 'soulmates' as they call it and were made for each other as cheesy as it was I wasn't afraid to admit that I loved it and my dream had come true because I had finally met "the one."
"Do you want to go for a swim?" Johnny turned to me and asked.
"What? Not in these clothes, I'll have to change." I replied shaking my head.
"Who says you have to even wear anything at all?" Johnny crudely suggested with a wink squeezing my hand.
"I don't know about that," I said shyly knowing exactly what he was implying at.
"Come on," Johnny said. "Look around you there's nobody here, it's just the two of us here at this beautiful lake alone enjoying our Summer."
I looked around me at the lake, the luscious Green trees and bushes providing us not only with their natural beauty and shade but also privacy too after a while of thinking it over in my head I agreed and folded my clothes neatly back into the carry on bag that I had brought and ran back into the water again.
"Wow," Johnny said eyeing my body appreciating what he saw. "You look amazing."
"Thanks," I said. "Now it's your turn."
"Well ok then" he left the water and put his clothes next to mine and then ran back into the water again he dipped his head into the water and slowly came back up again, the wet water dripping down his dark Brown locks and his ripped muscles glistened under the sun.
I was beyond amazed and insanely turned on and proud of the man I had married and felt even more in love if that was possible.
'I've hit the jackpot, the winning lottery is right in front of me,' I thought to myself as I admired my beautiful husband's face and body. I peered at his Dark Green eyes and his smooth long nose, he literally looked like a Disney prince from one of my childhood movies that I watched growing up. I never thought I would actually end up marrying a prince.
'Dreams can come true,' I thought smiling to myself in my mind positively in bliss and at total peace within my surroundings and with each other.
"Hey, dreamer," Johnny interrupted my thoughts with a gentle splash of water that hit me in my face. "Are you dreaming about me?"
I rubbed my face and focused my eyes on him. "You wish," I teased with a smile.
"I knew it," he splashed me some more.
We soon started a splashing war and by now we were all soaking wet and having the time of our lives totally forgetting about anything else.
This was my dream vacation and it was going exactly the way I wanted it to go... Well for now it was anyway.
The sun had started to set, fiery Red clouds aligned the sky with a fierce and colourful sunset filled with hues of Ocean Blue, dusty Pinks, Oranges and Lilac, the sky was so beautiful it looked like a painting, a work of art that only God was capable of creating.
We swam a little bit until it started to get cold so we started to head towards where our camper van had been parked. I had just gotten out of the water and shivered putting my arms across my chest for modesty when I heard a splashing sound. I turned around and smiled it was obviously my husband Johnny playing around in the water, as smart and talented as he was, he could be so childish at times.
I walked towards where the carry on bag was, picked up my towel and started to dry off my cold and freezing body, the evening chill had started as the night slowly drew in, as I started to put my clothes on I heard another splash and turned over to look in the direction of the lake.
Something was bubbling in the middle of the lake.
"Johnny," I yelled out his name. "Johnny, where are you?" I called his name several times but was met with the silence in the air, only crickets chirped and birds chirped flying away into the trees all around us ready to settle down for the night that lay ahead.
At that moment I felt scared, I was alone in the forest and night was drawing near, all of a sudden Johnny had gone missing, I thought he had been swimming right behind me but he had never left the water, so that must mean he is still swimming around or maybe something happened to him? I thought about the worst case scenarios even though I didn't want it to come to that, 'no, there must be a better explanation' I forced myself to think positively.
I finished getting dressed and decided to walk around slowly and take a properly look, maybe he was hiding somewhere and this was his idea of playing a prank on his wife. Not that I didn't appreciate his sense of humour I had never been into pranks and jokes just weren't my thing, I didn't like them or understand them.
"Come on" I yelled out to him impatience in my voice. "We need to sort dinner out."
I walked towards a tree and peered behind but all I saw was the lake so I continued walking.
A hissing sound came from behind me so I turned around to look but by now it was too dark to see anything, the sky was a deep Blue and the sun had already set, the grass was dark and the moon cast creepy shadows everywhere.
I thought to myself that it was probably just a snake or some other type of animal that was coming out now that it was nighttime so I ignored the sound and continued walking. I looked everywhere for my husband and decided that it was getting late so I headed back towards the camper van, I grabbed the carry on bag, reached into my handbag, pulled out the keys to the van and unlocked the door.
I realised that it was safer to wait inside and that I would call the emergency services from the radio station in the van.
I didn't want to be hanging around outside the forest at nighttime I'd seen too many horror movies to know what would happen or what could happen to a woman like myself.
I switched on the radio and dialled 911 but there was no reception only the sound of White noise filled the air.
I turned it off and pulled my phone out my handbag and tried to dial 911. "Come on, come on," I grumbled praying that the call would connect but after minutes of continued ringing I finally hung up.
I sighed and covered my face with my hands. I felt like crying and was sick with worry, where was Johnny. I felt like I was in a horror movie like Friday The 13th where people mysteriously disappeared and got killed but I prayed to God that that wouldn't be the case here but I was seriously beginning to have major doubts.
I thought about texting someone so I pulled my phone out and decided to text my father, "at the lake Johnny has gone missing, can't find him at all!" I pressed the Sent button and watched as the Sending button kept moving, I hoped that the message would send but the lake seemed to have terrible connection for some strange reason and I decided that if I found Johnny and we left this place we certainly wouldn't visit again.
I decided once I did find him again we would cut the vacation short and after dinner if we would be able to eat it we would hit the road and leave this place again.
As I looked out of the window into the darkness I thought I saw a shadow of something running from the trees, it looked like it was being chased and that it was coming closer and closer towards the van...towards me.
I tried not to panic but scary thoughts filled my mind, I hoped that it wasn't a monster but I realised I was being stupid and that monsters didn't exist but I would later learnt that they do.
As the shadow came closer I realised it was Johnny, he was shirtless with his ripped muscles showing but had put his Blue jeans on and his Brown boots he came towards the van panting and motioned for me to open the door to let him in.
He anxiously scrambled into the van, panting and of breath, he ran a hand through his hair and asked for water, I grabbed a water bottle which was half drunk and passed it over to him.
Once he had taken a few sips of water and calmed down I started to quiz him  and asked what happened.
"Why did you disappear for?" I demanded.
He took another sip of water before answering me. "I didn't disappear."
I frowned at him. "I came out of the lake and you weren't swimming behind me, I called your name many times and you did not answer me."
He took a other sip and threw the empty bottle out of the window, I frowned thinking that it was trashy to leave garbage around and whoever would come to clean it the next day would think that we were typical trashy tourists who had visited leaving their trash behind as people usually did.
"I tried to leave the lake," Johnny began with a pause."
"So what happened?" I patiently waited for him to continue the story.
"Then as I tried to get out of the water I felt something grab my leg and it dunked my back into the water for a few minutes and I couldn't breathe and I really thought I was a goner."
"Oh my God," I said after he had finished telling me his story. Tears started forming my eyes when I thought about the possibility that I would have lost the love of my life and become a widow so early. I felt like a bad wife, I had left him alone and not paid attention to him. I should have stayed with him, we should have gotten out of the water together holding hands, as a team, a married team that we were.
I heard a ping and realised I had gotten a reply for message from my dad. "What's going on? Did you call the police?" He asked me.
"Everything's fine, Johnny is here now," I texted back not including the story of what he had told since it would only worry my parents more.
My father didn't like Johnny. He didn't hate him but he wasn't exactly fond of his presence either, on the night before our wedding he had asked me if it was the right decision and that I could have done better.
I had bit back angry words and refused to say anything back because I knew that I loved Johnny and didn't care what anyone thought, my father was a hater and he always has been, he never liked anyone especially men that I had an interest in, he would always belittle them and mock them.
"Who are you texting?" Johnny looked over my shoulder to see the screen on my phone.
"Just my Dad," I explained. "I was worried that you went missing."
"I'm fine now," Johnny reassured me, he ran his fingers through my hair and I shivered in a good way, I enjoyed his touch and company, he was the best husband anyone could have asked for and we were lucky that we found each other.
A loud bang erupted in the sky followed by a high pitch piercing scream and the van shook slightly.
"What the hell was that?" I asked shocked looking from left to right but struggling to see in the pitch Black darkness.
"Maybe other vacationers throwing a party," Johnny suggested.
I shook my head. "We're the only ones here," I said.
"It's off season, tourists don't usually come around this month as they find it too expensive."
"Maybe some people did come," Johnny said.
"But I didn't see any people around at all when I looked."
Johnny shrugged his shoulders clueless. "Let's eat, I'm starving," he said.
My stomach rumbled a little bit. "Good idea," I said. I went to the back of the van where a small fridge was and got out some canned tuna and started to make some sandwiches for our dinner when there was another scream this time a panicky scream like the type you do when you are usually scared or injured.
"I'm getting really worried," I called from the back of the van. "Something is seriously wrong." And I got the feeling that maybe I was right, maybe that's why people weren't here, the knew something that we didn't know but nothing was strangely mentioned in the news so I wondered what it was, whatever it was I decided that after dinner we would definitely be leaving, I didn't plan to stay and investigate the noises. I wanted to come out alive and live a normal life.
I quickly finished making the sandwiches, grabbed two bottles of apple juice from the fridge and headed over to the drivers seat, I put the sandwiches on a plate on the dashboard and the juice bottles on the floor so that we could share them and we ate and finished our dinner and juices in silence too busy or hungry to say anything.
After we finished eating I went over to the small kitchen area and cleaned up the food then went back to the driving area again.
"Come on, let's hit the road before we hear anything else," I suggested slipping on my seat belt.
Johnny nodded his head in agreement.
I pushed the key and tried to start the van but it wouldn't start so I tried again.
"That's weird, the car won't start," I commented.
Johnny reached his hand over towards the ignition and tried to start it a few times when I looked over at the Orange button that was flashing on the car signaling that there was little gas left.
"We're out of gas," I realised a bad feeling hit my stomach. "Didn't you fuel up before we left?" I looked annoyingly over at Johnny.
"Of course I did," he protested. "It was totally full when we left."
"Then how can it be finished? It wasn't even a long trip?" I asked confused.
It had only taken us 2 hours to get here and the time had sped by looking at the beautiful Blue sky, rolling mountains, hills and serene scenery as we passed by on our way through the freeway from the city, leaving the busy hustle and bustle behind us for this Summer break.
I was about to suggest calling for help when there was a loud banging noise and the van loudly jolted almost as if somebody or something had hit it or crashes into it really had.
I wondered what the hell it was but before I could even ask the question I saw a tall thin shadow lurking behind a tree near the lake. It was Black and literally looked like the type of shadow that you see behind you when you are walking in the sunshine as the evening sun is fading away.
It looked like a human and for some reason I knew that it was a male even though it had no face or even any facial features just bright White eyeballs that popped out of it where it's face should have been, it looked almost cartoonish if it wasn't real and I wasn't staring right at it.
I tapped Johnny on the arm to get him to see what I was seeing.
"What the hell is that thing?" He asked in amazement and also shock.
"I have no idea," I replied shaking my head.
The shadow stared at us a for a minute long before slowly moving out from behind the tree and it started running full speed towards us.
"Oh my God," I screamed. "We need to get out of here that creepy thing whatever it is is heading towards us."
I desperately tried to start the van before realising that we had run out of gas.
"Let's just run," Johnny suggested.
"What? And leave all of our stuff behind?" I demanded my voice shaken with panic. I didn't want to run and abandon all of our luggage but the shadow was getting closer and we had to make a decision fast because I had no idea what the shadow was or what it was capable of doing to us, it was so strange and scary to me I had never seen anything like it before, it looked there was meant to be a human in front of it but there wasn't one it was just moving by itself.
The shadow came closer to where the grass was and made a strange growling sound like a lion roaring for food, it bent onto the grass picked up a large rock and hurled it towards the camper van with some decent strength. The rock hit the window and it formed a jagged crack on the glass one that would need to be repaired but luckily not too damaged.
I grabbed my backpack and threw it onto my shoulders, opened the roof of the van and grabbed Johnny's hand and we climbed onto the van carefully.
I looked back down on the ground where the shadow was to see it standing still frozen like it was waiting to get us.
The shadow opened its mouth and made another lion like roaring sound, I could see a dark Red mouth with sharp White triangular teeth the type that carnivores usually had.
I moved towards the back of the van with Johnny behind me and we quickly jumped onto the floor and started to run wildly towards where the motorway was, I was hoping that somebody driving by would give us a lift back to the city but I knew that nobody would do that, drive 2 hours just to drop us off and maybe they lived even further away then we did but I didn't have time to plan what we would do if we managed to survive all I could think about was the shadow and us trying to escape from it.
I looked back and saw that the shadow had started to chase us. I felt worried because I needed to rest, I was getting out of breath due to my unfortunate asthma issues  and knew I wouldn't be able to continue running for much longer.
"It's behind us," I managed to speak panting to Johnny.
Johnny turned around and quickly glanced back and shook his head. "It's gone," he said he walked over towards a tree near the road and stopped running.
I grabbed his arm. "Don't stop running," I warned feeling out of breath. "I don't want to die."
"But it's gone," Johnny insisted.
I wanted to believe him but I had a really bad feeling in my heart, something told me it wasn't quite over yet not by a minute.
"We need to keep moving," I said pulling his arm to try to get him to move again
But he refused to move.
He stayed still and wouldn't budge.
I felt angry.
I didn't want to die.
I didn't want my husband and lifetime partner to die either.
"Come on!" I urged with a hint of frustration in my voice I was trying to stay calm but I was failing badly.
"Alright fine," Johnny said he started to walk slowly towards the Highway 606 sign, we had almost reached it when the shadow jumped out in front of us, it's bright White eyes piercing into mine like it could read our minds and it let out a sharp roar and slashed at both of us with sharp animal like claws.
We moved backwards away from us luckily we didn't have any serious damage just our clothes had been ripped a little.
The shadow was about to attack as again with its sharp claws with there was a deafening gun shot from the air, a bullet burned into the shadow's body leaving a dark hole and the shadow silently fell onto the road.
"What was that?" I looked around and saw that a rugged but handsome man in his middle ages holding a shotgun wearing a cowboy hat dressed in cowboy clothes was walking towards us, his boots made a clicking sound as he strolled towards us.
He looked like something from a Spaghetti Western movie and when he came closer I could see his skin was pale and rough like he was the outdoorsy type, he had Dark Brown eyes, a long nose, strong jawbone, wavy Brown hair and a thick beard. He reminded me a little of Clint Eastwood.
"Was that you?" Johnny asked. "Did you shoot that shadow/monster thing whatever it was?"
"Yes, I did," the man replied in a deep and rough voice with an Australian accent. He sounded as if he smoked a lot of cigarettes.
"Thank you for saving our lives," I said feeling relief and happiness.
"It's no problem, my truck is over there if you need a a lift," he pointed over to the woods where a Blue rusted truck was parked next to a tree where the Welcome To The Lake wooden sign was posted.
He tipped his cowboy hat and smiled slightly at me and we followed him over to the truck.
Once we got into his truck we thanked him and he said he didn't mind driving us all the way back home.
Back to the city, the city where we belonged, where we were safe, away from monsters.
Home, safe home.