Chapter 2

Her eyes widened, she had convinced she hit her head and he was just a weird dream or something. The odd-looking blue finman grinned up at her from the water. "You're real." She whispered.

"My name is Trollex."

She didn't reply, still in shock that it wasn't some kind of dream or something after she fell in the water. She froze when she remembered she didn't actually bring the necklace despite the fact she told her grandmother she had it with her. What if he tries to take her? She had nothing to toss to distract him so she could run away. I'm an idiot. She thought with a frown.

The finman raised his brow when the human girl didn't reply for a good moment. "What's your name?"

Oh, right. "Ash."

He moved closer to the edge she was standing by and rest his upper body against it, crossing his arms on the land. "I've never seen a human by the ocean in this area before. Well, that didn't have to do with going out to fish."
Ash slowly sat down in front of him but kept a safe distance in case he did try to snatch her into the sea. "I'm not from here. So, I thought all the talk about finfolk was just a legend."

Trollex just stared at her in response with a thoughtful expression.

She fidgeted, trying to push down the burning question in her mind, however...

"Is one of your parents human?" The question was eating her alive, the stories said finfolk kidnapped humans, taking them to their island and making them their husband or wife. Trollex grinned at the question. "What do you think?" "I don't know that's why I'm asking." She closed her eyes to not roll them at the young finman. "Both of my parents are finfolk."

"Really?"

"Mhm."

"Okay, well what about your grandparents?"

"Finfolk."

"Great grandparents?"

"Finfolk." At least, he assumed they were all finfolk, he never met them.

Ash moved closer to the finman. "Really? But the stories say that finfolk prefer a human spouse over their own kind because- "She paused. What was the reason they supposedly preferred humans over other finfolk again? "Because?" "I-I don't remember." Wow, this is embarrassing. She covered her face. "Anyway, I don't remember why the stories said they preferred humans, but what about the island? The ones they bring their human spouse to, to live on?"

"Island?"

Am I remembering it wrong? It's been years since I've heard the stories and looked it up myself. She thought to herself.

"Anyway, is the human spouse part true?" He nodded. "Yes, some finfolk take human spouses. Though we typically refer to them as mates."

"You're not looking a mate?"

"I told you, I'm still young. It's not something I'm concerned with at the moment."

"When you reach the age, you are ready to take a mate, are you planning to have a human mate or a finfolk mate? What age do finfolk usually start looking for a spouse."

"You're really concerned about my future mate." He teased.

She flushed, quickly covering her face to keep the young finman from seeing how red she was. Trollex laughed at her reaction.

Ash's eyes widened as the finman pulled himself up on the land to sit beside her. He turned to her and grinned. "It's easier to talk to someone on the same level, right?" When she didn't respond right away, he raised his brow. "I assumed you'd prefer this over me pulling in the ocean."
That caused her to snap back to reality. "Yes, most definitely."