-ˋ 26

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH REALITY HITS

. . .

After they had all signed the parchment, it was Remus and Lily who had practically had to herd them out of Dumbledore's office. It was just so interesting, and Sirius and James were very close to knocking things over no matter where they turned.

"Come on, you lazy lump." Lily was stood over Tiger, who was sat in Dumbledore's chair, back against the arm and rather long legs kicked over the other side, black boots kicking in the air. "If Dumbledore walks in here and sees you sat like this, how do you think he's going to react?"

"I simply won't give him chance to, because I'll already be there complimenting his choice of chair. Because Merlin this is comfortable." Tiger smiled up at the ginger-haired girl, who sighed and looked around, eyes landing on the Potter boy.

"James-" She began, eyes widening as she watched him pick up one of the silver instruments - a strange criss cross of spikes ending in stars. "James don't you dare. Put that back down and help me get Tiger out of here."

James frowned, looking rather disgruntled at being disturbed, before seeing Remus stood by the door with his arms crossed, Sirius in front of him and badgering him - bored after being pulled away himself. "Fine. But next time we're in here I should get a proper look around." 

"I'm sure you'll get your chance." Lily was lying through her teeth - why on earth would Dumbledore bring them up to his office again? But it managed to get James away from the weird stars instrument and over to Tiger.

"As much as I'm enjoying the view, it's time to go Howell." He said, Lily stepping out of the way and watching as he scooped the girl up in his arms.

"Put me down Potter - I have legs you know!" Tiger wrapped her arms around James's neck, hoisting herself up when she felt herself slip. "Hey - James, are you even listening to me?"

"Promise me you won't go back?" The Potter boy cocked an eyebrow as he met his girlfriend's eyes. She nodded, the boy carefully placing her down on the floor as they reached the door.

The others began to file out, heading down the stone steps. "Let's go up to the Astronomy tower." Tiger held onto the rail as she made her way down the stairs. "James, you in?" 

"Sure, yeah. I'll go back to the dorm and grab some-" James was stopped by a hand across his lips, and Tiger smirked as she opened her jacket. In it, the somewhat rectangular deep amber bottle, labelled Firewhiskey.

"Where on earth did you get that?" James asked, after they had said goodbye to the others and headed in the opposite direction to them.

"What do you think? I nabbed it of course. Found it in a cabinet when I was looking around and nicked it when Lily wasn't looking. Who would've guessed our headmaster's choice of drink after a hard day of running a Wizarding boarding school was good ol' Ogdens?" The girl smiled, fully pullinng the bottle out of her jacket now that they were out of sight to their six friends.

"If he finds out it was you who took it then the next meeting's going to be rather awkward." James rose his eyebrows as Tiger took his hand, pulling him up the stairs. 

"Would've thought you would be the last to care. Besides, he'll find out soon enough. The portrait of Basil Fronsac was right above the cabinet and was watching me rather carefully. He does look like the type of person to be confronted by anyone and give up absolutely everything." Tiger replied, a smirk appearing on her lips as they reached the top, unscrewing the lid of the bottle and taking a sip, the burning liquid making her wince.

"Besides, considering what we've just been told, I suppose Dumbledore could understand the desire to drown our misery in the Wizarding World's alchohol of choice." James was watching her rather carefully as she sat down at the edge of the tower, legs kicking out into the open air.

"You're worried?" He said, as he sat down beside her, an arm snaking out and wrapping around her waist, pulling her closer and eliminating the small distance between them. 

"Aren't you? What he told us.. it's all happening. People are dying, a dark wizard is rising. And we have the privilege of just being able to forget all of it and turn up to bloody Tranfiguration like nothing's happening out there." Tiger said, looking up at the Potter boy, nose already turning pink from the cold air. 

"You're right, we're sheltered from it all and the reality of how it truly is is all setting in." James replied. The pair fell silent, sitting together and just watching the scene of complete serenity and peace that surrounded the school.

It was so innocent. Their lives had been so innocent. No idea of how harsh the world really was, and only getting reminded of how it really was outside of the castle walls.

No words were spoken, just the firewhiskey bottle being passed back and forth. It was a frightening realisation, that it was becoming so bad that Dumbledore was asking teenagers to try and prepare to join this war.

"Are you scared?" Tiger asked, voice soft and barely audible. The bottle of firewhiskey clinked on the wood as James put it down, leaning back and staring out in front of him, a sigh escaping his lips.

"Absolutely fucking terrified."