Chapter 44

Twelve days.

Not twelve days left. Twelve days passed.

Twelve days of Killian constantly fussing over me, and of the circulus researching possible cures for the Sight. Researching, and failing.

Unsurprisingly, there's not much literature on the Curse of the Seers. Even with Akoni, Killian, and Gabe searching through the Archives, there simply was no information to find. No Seer writes or tells about the Curse because fighting it is pointless, and we Know death is inevitable.

Twelve days of Kilian making me try absurd ancient healing rituals the circulus would find in ancient texts, to no avail. I tried to explain that healing simply cannot help my body from decaying from the inside out, but of course, they were insistent, so we spent the days doing those ridiculous rituals.

During the nights, Killian held me, and we pointedly ignored talking about my death, thankfully. He started off hopeful in finding a cure, but even without my Sight or my sight, I could see that he had begun to accept that my death was an inevitability.

And day and night, I bled nonstop.

Coughing and throwing up dark red blood multiple times an hour, blood dripping from my eyes and nose constantly. But the blood wasn't even the worst part.

I was blacking out.

I started going unconscious for brief periods of time, each blackout longer than the last. My body was completely giving up, preparing for my eventual death.

On the plus side, before my death, I would fall unconscious, and be passed out for the duration of my death. Definitely a positive, because drowning in your own blood couldn't possibly feel good.

Not that anything feels good these days.

"Drink," Killian instructs, holding out the glass of water.

"Yes, doctor," I say mockingly, taking the water.

"That's Alpha doctor to you," he says jokingly, but like all of his jokes these days, they're forced, and feel like they're for my benefit more than anything.

I take a sip of the water, but unsurprisingly, it doesn't stay down, and I vomit blood into the blood bucket.

"I said drink, not throw up," Killian teases, but sounds nervous as he takes the cup of water back and pulls me into his arms.

"Sorry," I mutter, laying on his chest, and hear his heart beating erratically. Luckily, he didn't seem disturbed by the large quantities of blood I constantly was expelling at any given moment.

"Don't be sorry," he says softly. "Just go to sleep. I have another plan for tomorrow."

My heart twists in despair. "Killian, please... There's nothing left to be done."

"This one will work," he says, but doesn't sound nearly as confident as he was when we started.

"If... If it doesn't... No more," I say quietly. "No more plans. After tomorrow, I only have until noon the next day. I just want to rest and... be done. No more."

Killian is silent for a moment. "Okay," he relents, choked up, and I'm glad I can't see his face.

I exhale in relief. "Goodnight," I tell him.

Killian doesn't say anything in response, simply placing a single kiss on the top of my head.

Since being back, our physical contact remained limited to him holding me and doing his best to quiet the Sight, and frequent kisses on the top of my head. I didn't dare attempt to kiss his lips, nor did he attempt to kiss mine. We both know there's no happy ending, and every touch makes the impending goodbye harder.