Chapter 15: Kindled

The morning breeze rushes past the exposed skin of his face with every step of his steady pace, providing coolness to his perspiring body. The streets are quite vacant due to the early hour with the exception of the usual mailman and a few vendors selling tea. He slows down a few moments later, physically feeling the slight burning sensation in his calves. Taking his iPod out of his sweatpants, he pauses the loud music and takes his earphones out before shoving them inside his pocket.

"Ek pani," ("One water,")

The vendor gives him a bottle of water and receives a ten rupee note in return, which he carefully folds and puts away.

Arnav unscrews the cap, drinking in big gulps of thirst before lifting the bottle above his head. He closes his eyes as he lets the cold water pour on his face, the droplets splashing when they meet his skin. Sighing loudly, he sits down on a bench nearby.

It had taken long hours of tossing and turning the previous night for him to force sleep upon him, something which became impossible to do knowing that a mere wall is what separated the distance between her and himself. Her words, the sound of her voice, the shape of her lips, everything seemed to etch into his mind like a memorized poem. As the endless hours of the night passed, all he could imagine was how her open hair would look spread across the pillow next to his, a thought that coaxed him and his longing.

And so he was up before the mighty sun itself. After taking a cold shower he decided to opt for his favorite way of relaxation when there was no option of driving a car on a highway – jogging. Figuring a good jog would help calm him, he had put on his sweatpants, a jacket and sneakers before heading outside the gates of the house to jog around the streets. Unfortunately, he was wrong. The faster he jogged, the more he thought of her. Eventually his body gave up on his will when the ache in his legs started to feel unbearable.

Running a hand through his still dripping wet hair, another sigh of frustration leaves his lips.

"Arnav bhaiyya? When did you wake up?"

He looks up to find his cousin staring at him confused, and right beside her, an even confused Khushi.

"Morning. I couldn't sleep. Jet lag, I guess," He quietly chuckles, wondering how long he can use this excuse.

Arnav can't help but notice that the look on Khushi's face is not just of pure confusion. Her gaze keeps shifting over his body and she blinks repeatedly before glancing back at his face. He swears he can almost see her visibly gulp when he habitually runs a rough hand through the thickness of his disheveled hair again.

Why did they have to run into him, of all people? And why is he looking so annoyingly delicious? Khushi gulps, trying her best not to gape at him like a crazy woman. His hair is ruffled, a clear sign of a bedhead. The front chain of his jacket is open, the trimmed hair on his toned chest slightly visible to her gaze. His golden tanned skin glistens with a sheen of sweat, making him look deliriously tempting.

Stop it, Khushi. You're a grown woman of 36. Not a hormonal 16 year old teen.

"Anyway, what are you guys out so early for?" Arnav asks, his eyes locked with hers all the while.

"I have to go for an appointment at a spa, and Khushi has to pick up her pre ordered lehenga for the mehendi from a store. Just some work before the haldi today," Aashna replies, before an idea comes to her. "Hey, why don't you join us? You'll get to see a bit of Delhi as well!"

There is a momentary silence as Arnav meets her gaze, an unspoken anticipation in her eyes.

"Sure, I'd love to,"