Chapter 16: Forgotten Rights

"Dev?"

"Khushi," Her name is uttered after a small pause, "Surprised you, didn't I?"

She composes herself and retracts a few steps.

"Yeah, aren't you supposed to be in Spain right now?"

"The trip got cancelled last minute," Dev shrugs, "And so I figured I could make Aashna happy by showing up," His lips thin in a one sided smile, a small dimple forming on his clean shaven cheek.

"Wow, that's great!" She laughs politely, "Good to see you." With a nod she walks away, slowly vanishing amongst the hustling crowd of guests.

"Good to see you, too." Dev says to her retreating back, quietly enough to be unheard.

----

The early evening rolls around with swirls of hazed coral and speckles of amber gracing the skies. The string of golden bulbs now twinkle as the next set of celebrations are due to commence in minutes while friends and family part to dress appropriately for the occasion.

The room is filled with half spoken murmurs as the two sisters get ready. Payal carefully pins the material of her emerald sari to her blouse, while Khushi sits in front of the dressing table, clad in the striking skirt of her lehenga while the upper half of her body stays covered with a t-shirt.

"Khushi, why don't you wear the choli now?" Payal asks, laughing at how utterly misplaced the graphic tee looks with the intricately woven details of the dazzling lehenga.

"I will, Jiji, after I'm done curling my hair,"

The tuneful clinking of bangles reverberates in the spaces before Payal speaks again.

"I saw Dev today," She expects to hear a word of reaction from Khushi, but instead is greeted with silence. "His project in Spain got cancelled so he decided to come for the wedding," She continues, egging her sister to say something.

"Yeah, I know. I met him this afternoon," Khushi replies, wearing her earrings.

"And?"

"And what?"

Payal sighs. "Ever since Aashna, Dev and you collaborated on that project together for that company you used to work for, he's been a great friend to you, Khushi. Not just that, he looks at you as much more than a friend... I can sense it," Her eyes are distant in contemplation.

"Jiji, he's just a friend. Nothing more," Comes the curt reply, in a hope to dismiss the topic.

"Khushi, he's perfect for you. He's a nice person, successful, works in the same industry as you and most of all, he likes you. I want you to think about it,"

"I don't see him in that way! Would you just let it be?" Her tone raises in annoyance. She had had this exact conversation with her sister before, but never had she been so disturbed. She turns around as she realizes that things are much different now.

"But Khushi, you're 36 and I just want-"

"Jiji, I am happy and successful at what I do. Marriage should not define my happiness, and certainly not with someone I don't want to spend my life with. I don't want to marry someone I don't love," Her mind shifts to memory of a touch, his touch on her hand earlier that day, of the eyes that conveyed promise and so much more.

"Okay," Payal hugs her close, "You know I just want to see you happy,"

Khushi returns her embrace, "I know,"

The shrieking of a child interrupts them just then, accompanied with impatient knocks on the door.

"Mamma, Mamma, Mamma, Mamma!"