Chapter 17: Blossoms

Sitting amongst family and friends with the brightest smile on her face as everyone huddles together in a rather competitive game of antakshari, Khushi finds herself relishing the company of two of the most valuable gifts life offers – laughter and music. When these are combined with the unmatched feeling of being with the people who bring the most joy to one's heart, it becomes a moment to treasure.

The women end two lines of a song proudly as the men look on in defeat, realizing that suggesting the idea of making this a game of men versus women turned out to be quite unfavorable to them, given the extraordinary skill women posses of remembering every single song to heart. The men raise their hands and happily accept their defeat while the women rejoice, some wives walking over to hug their husband sympathetically.

As everyone stirs into conversations, Aashna taps her friend, moving in slightly to whisper in her ears.

"Khushi, have you noticed that Dev hasn't stopped looking at you this entire time?" She teases, bumping her shoulder with hers.

Khushi shakes her head in denial, responding in a tight lipped smile. She decides not to say anything about his behavior from yesterday, wanting for the tension to dissolve by itself without having to draw attention. She doesn't need to anyway, since Aashna turns to him approaching to join the circle.

"Arnav Bhaiyya! Where were you?"

Arnav sits down and opens his mouth to respond when Aashna speaks again.

"Accha, never mind. Now that you're here, you know what we're all waiting for," She joins her hands in excited expectation.

"And what exactly is that?" Arnav asks, genuinely confused.

"Waiting for you to play the guitar, of course!"

Everyone cheers, turning to Arnav with murmurs of requests and encouragement. Khushi gazes at him in a silent hope to hear his yes, remembering the very first time she had seen him play, marking the very first time she had fallen in love.

"I haven't touched one in years actually," He softly admits.

Khushi's heart sinks. Why hadn't he continued to play? She knows how happy playing made him. She had felt it on his fingers, seen it in his strums, heard it in his tunes. What made him stop?

Kunaal walks to him, holding out his own acoustic guitar. "Please, brother. It will make our sangeet even more special and memorable,"

Arnav raises his hand to deny again when her voice reaches him.

"Play," Khushi whispers, "please?"

There was a certain longing in her voice that went unheard by all except Arnav. His eyes still locked with hers, he gently takes the guitar from Kunaal, blown by her steady gaze. Everyone around quietens and faces him as he holds the instrument, waiting patiently to hear his tunes. Arnav takes a few long moments to touch the delicate strings, softly stroking the basswood in silent admiration. It is true, he hadn't played in years. Yet somehow, tonight feels different. It feels right.

She felt as if she could soar when the first strum sounds. Khushi inches forward in her seat, unable to take her eyes off of the man in front of her and all that he embodies. The way his fingers maneuver the instrument with utmost care, the way the slightest smile plays on his lips, the way his eyes close, lost in the melody. She recognizes the tune, the one he had played when she first heard him by the blooming sunset that day. Hearing him play the same tune now, she feels twenty-two again.

Twenty-two... and in love.

The piece ends after a few minutes as everyone claps and Arnav receives words of praise. Guests disperse in conversations once again, the evening a spectator to the night of celebration. The sangeet continues with old hindi film songs playing softly on the outdoor stereo system, couples dancing arm in arm in the decorated lawn while fairy lights twinkle above.