Prequel - Part Two

Wow sorry guys I already fucked up, I was supposed to post this two days ago my bad :/

***

The walls of the caves were streaked with different colors of rock. Black. Gray. Red. All three running across the walls in waves that made it look like it was moving.

Kellan's scratched on drawings contrasted sharply to the dark stone. Most of them were faded white but some looked like they might have actually been painted on.

"Can't sleep?"

My gaze snapped toward the figure laying on the ground on the other side of the cave. He looked to be sleeping but his gleaming yellow eyes told me otherwise.

"I'm thinking," I said.

"About what?"

I sighed. "My father said it would be safer to leave. But the more I go through everything that happened, the more I wonder if it was to keep us safe or to keep the other dragons safe."

He frowned and propped himself up on his elbow. "What do you mean?"

I bit my cheek hard. "We left and the hunters did nothing but chase us. We spoke to a few travelers on their way towards witch territory and they said the dragons were still there. No one had seen any sign of the hunters near the Circle.

"I think my father may have been leading them away. Every day we moved deeper into the mountains and farther away from the dragons. The wolves believe that everyone falls when the leader does, so they were only ever concerned with killing the King and I think he knew that."

"Would he really risk your life to protect the other dragons?"

I nodded with a small smile. "It's what made him a great king. He would do anything to protect his dragons, even sacrifice his own daughter's life. Because in the end what's one life against thousands?" I murmured.

"There had to have been another way," he mumbled.

"He tried to get everyone to leave, he thought we could all escape to the mountains and attack the hunters when they came to the Circle. But no one wanted to leave," I explained, "so I suppose he thought it would be better to simply lead the hunters away in the hopes that they would all survive."

"And now that he's gone?" Kellan asked gently.

I took a deep breath, digging my nails into my palm. "Now they'll go after every dragon until they're all gone. Then they'll probably move on to the cats and then to the witches until only the wolves are left."

His eyes widened. "Do you really think they'll kill everyone?"

"I do. The wolves are the weakest creatures but we are nothing against their weapons," I muttered. I closed my eyes tightly for a moment. "I just want to at least see them one more time before the wolves kill everyone."

All the light seemed to vanish from his eyes. "Them?" he asked.

"My uncle, my littermates," I sighed. "And Kailo."

"Who's Kailo?"

The corners of my lips curled upward as his face came to mind. His bright green eyes and soft smile filled me with a comforting warmth. A quivering breath escaped my mouth as tears fell onto my cheeks. "He was going to be my mate."

"Did he fight for you? That's the dragon custom right?"

"Yeah. As the princess I am expected to mate with the strongest of the warriors. When I was young Kailo told me he wanted to fight and I laughed. I told him he was far too weak to be my mate."