Daerius

My head snaps up at the faint booming noise. I search the horizon in the direction it came from and my face falls.

A bright red flame shoots through the sky, on the other side of the Zhyden mountains. Then suddenly a searing white pain shoots through my skull and I collapse onto the forest floor.

My Beta rushes over, shaking my shoulder but I can't hear a word he is saying. I can only focus on a single coherent thought as everything goes black. Lyza.

*********

I open my eyes to someone calling my name. Angel's face hovers over me, full of concern. The agony is gone now, replaced by a strange numbness.

"Daerius are you alright?" My sister asks softly. I sit up, looking around my room in confusion.

"What happened? All I remember is a red flare . . ." I trail off, confused and disoriented.

Angel backs away, chewing on her lip like she always does when she's nervous. I growl a little. "Angel what happened?"

Her face twists into a pained grimace. "It's Lyza, the pack doctor says she is dead, and that you collapsed when the bond broke," she says, her voice barely above a whisper.

"No, that's not possible. If she was dead then I would be dead," I say affirmatively. Angel cringes a little, shaking her head.

"I'm sorry Daerius," she mutters and I stand up with a snarl.

"My mate is not dead!" I yell, storming out of my room and slamming the door.

She can't be dead, losing a mate kills you. My father died only a few weeks after Angel's mother died and I remember what happened to him.

He basically went insane, and tried to kill himself on several occasions. My mother wasn't his true mate, but Angel's mother was.

I find myself walking to my office, where my Beta and Gamma are waiting. They look at me with a mixture of pity and sadness.

"I'm so sorry Daerius," Mykael mutters.

"If Lyza was dead then I would know. Something definitely happened though, and I think that red light in the sky had something to do with it," I tell my Gamma firmly.

He nods quickly, shaking off his sullen attitude. He points to a map that has been spread across my desk.

"We started looking into that after you lost consciousness. We think it came from the dragon's territory so we wanted to look through that book Lyza found," he says.

"And? What did you find?" I ask. They glance sideways at each other.

"Well, we—uh, the thing is—well we can't find it," Cadyn says. I raise my eyebrow at them.

"You can't find it? It has been on my desk since we left for the dragon's territory just a few weeks ago."

"Actually that was almost a month ago, you were passed out for like four days. Anyway we looked everywhere in here and in the library but we haven't been able to find it. We think someone took it," Mykael says.

"Who the hell would take that and why?" I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose as my head starts to hurt.

"I don't know Daerius, but are you sure you're okay? You look pretty pale," Caden says.

"My head feels like it's about to split in half, but otherwise I'm okay. Actually I can't feel anything else," I mutter in confusion.

"We were going to send scouts into the Mountains to see if they can find out what's going on with the dragons. Meanwhile we can search for whoever took the book here," Mykael says.