four : test run

Claudia sat down next to Jake at lunch, like usual, this time a book sitting where her head usually did

"Finally decided to stop moping?" Jake asked, and Quil hit his arm.

"I'm fine." She huffed. "I just...I just need to get over it."

"Atta girl." Jake elbowed her with a wide smile that it was hard not to return. "So, we were thinking of going up to Port Angeles this weekend."

"How? Last I checked Quil and I are 15 and you don't have a license or working car." She raised her eyebrows.

"Who said anything about a car?" He smirked. "Bella and I fixed up some bikes, and she has to leave them at my place so Charlie doesn't freak. And she's got a huge paper to write Saturday which means two free bikes."

"If my mom finds out, I'm dead, man." Quil said. "I'm in." They both looked expectantly at Claudia. She sighed, throwing her hands up.

"Fine!" The boys high fived. "Which one of you is less likely to kill me on those things? I wanna risk my life as minimally as possible."

——————

Originally, the idea of riding all the way to Port Angeles on the back of Jake's bike sounded like a horrible idea. It rained the night before, it could easily rain again, and it was already freezing. However, Claudia quickly realized just how fun the motorcycles were once they were out in the road. They each had a minimal amount of money from their parents, which they pooled together to go to an arcade, get some pizza, and see a movie. For once, Claudia didn't think about Embry all day. There were moments, where she'd turn to say something to him or want to wait for him before leaving somewhere, but it was only a few times. It was dark by the time they pulled back into Jake's garage, the rain having made each of them soaked, and caked in mud. None of them cared.

"That was fuckin sweet!" Quil kicked the kickstand down. "Man Jake, I hate to admit it but you did good on these."

"I know, right?" Jake smiled. "This was a good test run."

"Test run?!" Claudia's eyes widened. "Jake what the hell?"

"Look, how else was I supposed to test them before Bella comes over tomorrow?" He asked. She swatted the back of his head. "Ow! Uncalled for."

"I was joking about the whole dying thing, asshole." She said.

"If I told you that I hadn't tested them, you wouldn't have come." He pointed out.

"No shit." She rolled her eyes.

"Jake!" Billy's voice came from the house. Jake sighed.

"Come on, let's go before it starts pouring." Quil nudged Claudia's arm. The three teenagers left the garage, Quil helping Jake shove the door shut through the thick mud. The pair waved to Billy as they walked past the house, heading for the deer trail that cut through the woods. "This was fun today."

"I always have fun with you guys." She said. "Even if Jake's being a dumbass." Quil chuckled, but was soon quiet. A thick silence hung between them, until Quil suddenly sighed and stopped walking. She stopped just ahead of him, turning back with a confused expression.

"You haven't been having fun lately." He said, his eyes aimed at his feet. "After...what happened..."

"How could I?" She asked weakly. "He was my best friend, Quil. Not like you aren't too, it's just..."

"No, I get it." He shook his head. "It's different, with him." She nodded lightly. He sighed again, looking up at her. "Are you okay, Claudia? I know you've been...acting fine for a few days but...you know..."

"I'm..." She sighed. "I'm getting to okay. I'll be fine, eventually. It just...doesn't help that he's like, everywhere I fucking go." She huffed. "Whenever I go to the store, he's there. If I go into Forks, he's there. School, the beach, anywhere that isn't your or Jake's house."

"I'm...I'm here for you, you know?" He said. "I know that Jake is...well, he's Jake. But you can talk to me, if you want to. I won't tell him anything. I don't usually, anyway." This made her chuckle lightly. "Just because Embry's decided to be a prick, doesn't mean I'm any less your friend."

"Thanks Quil." She smiled lightly, and he returned it. "I'll keep that in mind." He nodded and they started walking again. It wasn't long before Quil split off, heading down a side trail that led to his street. Claudia continued, hands stuffed in her pockets as her mind wandered. She wondered what Embry was doing now, this moment. If he was with Sam and his gang, what they were doing. Or if he was at home, with his mom, eating dinner and watching tv. She hoped for the latter. She wondered if he was thinking about her, what he was thinking about her. Or if he'd already forgotten her. She honesty couldn't tell which she wanted more.

On one hand, she hated Embry for leaving and hurting her-or she at least told herself she did. But, on the other hand, it was still Embry. And if he came back tomorrow, apologizing, she'd probably take him back. Take him back. That sounded more like something Jake would say than Claudia, but it was the only way she could think to phrase it. He'd broken her heart when he left, he'd broken up with her. And she'd have to take him back. Over the last few days, it was hard not to see what Jake had always been saying, now that Embry wasn't around.

He was always so careful of her, attentive of any tiny thing. He'd sit hip-to-hip with her during bonfires and always made sure she ate enough, even if it meant he didn't get to. He'd hold her hand while they cliff dived, even after she'd been doing it for years. He got angry when Jake pranked her, he'd hit Quil if he even as much as complimented her, and she was never far out of his sight. It was like he revolved around her, and she never realized it until he was gone. He was just there, always, and now that he wasn't, it was hard not to notice. No hand on her back as she moved from class to class, no whispering in her ear during movie night, no one to give her a piggy back ride when she was too tired.

Her mind couldn't help but want to know what he was doing. She always had before, because he was always at her side. Doing what she was. But now, he could be anywhere and she wouldn't know. As she stepped out onto the street and turned towards her house, she worried if she'd ever know what he was doing again. She sighed, the frown on her face deepening. She looked up from the dark road, her house closer than she thought. Outside, illuminated by the dim porch light and the faraway street lamp, she could see someone pacing. As she got closer, her breath caught in her throat. Not just someone...

"Embry?"