twelve : welcome to the family

"Are you sure they'll like me?" Embry only laughed

"Are you sure they'll like me?" Embry only laughed. "Em..."

"Of course they will." He hugged her closer to his side as they walked down the path. "Jake already does-even if he doesn't want to, and the others will too. Emily's really excited to meet you, actually."

"Really?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Course." He nodded. "There's nothing to worry about, Claudia, I promise." She nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat. "Mm, Emily's cooking." He sighed happily.

"What? How do you know that?" She asked, looking up at him.

"Wolf senses." She snorted. "I'm serious. I can smell and hear shit like super far away."

"Yeah, okay wolfy." Embry laughed loudly as they came around the bend. Claudia still couldn't smell what Embry had, but her eyes landed on the small cabin tucked into the trees. A large sliding glass door took up a good portion of the wall, and behind it Claudia could see the pack. Sam, Jared and Paul were sitting around a table, laughing and eating-though Jake was gone. She brushed it off, figuring he was probably still following Bella around somewhere. The door slid open, and Emily Young stepped onto the porch. Of course Claudia already kinda knew her, knew of her, but it really was their first actual meeting.

"Hey guys." Emily smiled, though it only showed on the undamaged half of her face. "I was wondering when he'd finally bring you around."

"Yeah, yeah." Embry huffed. "What are you making? I could smell it a mile away."

"Muffins, fresh batch just came out." Embry was gone from Claudia's side in a second, hurrying to the table where a large pile of muffins sat on a platter. "Come on in, Claudia. Welcome to the family."

"Thanks." Claudia gave her a small smile, and entered the warm house. Emily slid the door shut behind her and moved towards the kitchen.

"Do you want anything?" Emily asked, and Claudia shook her head. "Alright, just let me know." With another smile, Emily was gone. Claudia moved over, sitting next to Embry at the table.

"Want one?" Embry's mouth was full as he held a muffin out towards Claudia. She chuckled lightly, taking it from him. He didn't waste anytime in grabbing another for himself.

"How's that other kids face?" She looked across the table, seeing Jared was talking to her. "Quil, I mean."

"Oh, yeah he's fine." She shrugged. "Bruised, but he's fine. He's definitely had worse." Jared chuckled.

"Good thing Embry isn't that strong." Paul teased, and Embry reached across the table to hit him. "Oh, what was that? I barely felt it."

"Shut up a second." Sam commanded, and the whole house fell silent. Then, Claudia heard it. It was very distant, but she could just make out a wolf howl in the distance. "Jacob." He huffed, standing up. "Be ready, we might need to leave." The other three boys all nodded and in two long strides, Sam was out the door.