Chapter Fourteen

𝐿 𝑈 𝐶 𝐼 𝐴 𝑁 𝑂

        Liliana shyly made her way into the dining room where the rest of us were. I, including my men, stood up as she reached the door. I watched as her cheeks turn as red as a tomato. I motioned her over, which she made her way over quickly.

       "You look good in casual clothes," I said, pulling her chair out for her.

      "Thank you," she said. I nodded at my men, signaling for them to sit. I sat down right after and put my napkin on my pants.

      "Can we talk after lunch, please?" Lili asked, leaning over to my ear.

    "Of course, but for now let's dig into a delicious meal," I said, she nodded, "I'm starving," she giggled and started eating. She let out a moan and looked over at me.

      "What is this? It is absolutely amazing," she said taking another bite.

     "I'm glad you like it, because I actually made it," I said, grinning.

    "Don't let him lie, I saw him take it out of takeout boxes," one of my "lovely" men shouted out with his mouth full.

     "Finn, thank you so much for the encouragement to fulfill my dreams of becoming a chef," I said rolling my eyes at him. I earned a laugh from everyone and a "you're welcome" from Finn.

     "But to answer your question, it's Penne With Pumpkin Cream Sauce," I said, looking over at her. She looked over the moon with it. The rest of the time, the room was filled with everyone's laughter. Everyone telling jokes and funny stories of past missions. I tapped on Liliana's shoulder causing her to look up from her plate.

     "Are you ready? Or do you need a little more time?" I asked with a smile.   She nodded and got up from her seat, taking the napkin to the corners of her lips and then placing it on the table. I led her to my office and held onto the back of the chair in my office for her to sit in. She thanked me and I walked over to my chair.

    "So what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?" I asked folding my hands over my chest.

     "Jacques put a bounty on me," she said, "Enzo said that it for forty million,"

      "Yes that's correct," I said nodding.

      "Does it say whether he wants me dead or alive?" she asked, catching me off guard.

     "Um...I don't think that is appropriate," I said clearing my throat.

     "Luca, please just tell me," she said looking at me.

     "Liliana," I said looking at her with pleading eyes.

    "Luca, I'm a grown woman, I can handle it," she said. I leaned forward on the desk and looked at her.

     "Liliana, please," I said rubbing my forehead, "it's bad enough that I have to deal with these on a daily basis,"

     "Please, Luca! I want to know!" she said raising her voice, standing up.

     "He said it doesn't matter! So whoever finds you first will not care if he shoots you or not!" I shouted, slamming my hand on the table.

      "Oh," she said barely above a whisper and with that, she ran off. I sighed and put my head in my hands. I heard a knock on the door.

    "Go away," I said.

     "That's no way to speak to your mother," I heard. I looked up and saw my mother standing there in the door frame with her hands on her hips.

    "Ciao momma," I said, she walked over to the chairs in front of me.

    "Who was that girl who ran out of here?" she asked sitting down.

     "That's Liliana Dubois," I said.

    "Do you like this girl?" she asked wiggling her eyebrows.

    "Momma," I said groaning, why does everyone ask me this question. It shouldn't matter whether I do or not.

    "I'll take that as a yes, when do I get to meet her?" she asked, grinning.

     "Probably once she cools down," I said,
"Jacques, Hugo Dubois' underboss, placed a bounty on her head and she basically asked if she was going to die. I wasn't going to tell her and she kept asking so I told her that he said it didn't matter, whether she was dead or alive,"

    "Why would you tell her that?" mom gasped.

    "I wasn't thinking, I was getting mad, she kept asking," I said rubbing my head.

   "You go apologize to Liliana right this instant," she said, walking over to my side of the desk, "no matter how many times she was to ask, you shouldn't have told her. Now she's going to be upset and scared," she grabbed my ear and dragged me.

    "Is she in the guest room?" she asked.

    "Yes, ow, could you let go of my ear please?" I asked wincing. Instead of letting go, she tightens her grip and walked up to Liliana's door, and knocked. Liliana opened up the door confused.

     "Hello, my name is Camille, I'm Luciano's mother," momma said with a smile, she turned to me and glared before leaving.

     "Hi," I said scratching the back of my neck, "I'm sorry for raising my voice at you,"

     "No I should apologize, I shouldn't have pressured you into telling me," she said, "I should've just dropped it...I'm just new to all of this,"

    "I completely understand, it gets better and I can promise you that until my final breath I will do everything in my power to protect you," I said, meaning every word I said to her