thirtytwo

"where would anyone awaiting a court be held in the castle?" i crossed my arms over my chest, nodding towards her to make sure she stepped aside.

we could risk being seen without much worry, but it would be best if it was avoided entirely.

"either beneath the castle or in a secluded building on the east side," bexley calmly followed the two servants passing the stairs closely with her eyes, near us, before providing me with an answer.

i nodded slowly, my glance drifting away for a moment. i still hadn't gotten a completed look around the grounds meaning i couldn't pinpoint either location she had mentioned.

"he challenged the king, didn't he?"

i frown, meeting her eyes. "excuse me?" i say.

"the walls crawl with rumors, they always have." bexley smiles, checking behind her. the hallway is empty, usually is, at this time of day.

"let's move down," i take her hand, leading her down the stairs. there were barely any spots around here where you wouldn't be overheard; even your thoughts were counted.

i had struggled with sleeping since returning to the castle a day or two ago by now. the eyes that had followed me around in aeston kept me awake, or at least, made me feel like i had to stay awake to keep myself safe.

apperently, closed sets of doors on all sides of the castle and dozens of guards outside and inside wasn't safe enough. not for me, and that constant knot in my stomach.

so, i had met bexley earlier this morning, to help her with her usual early routine. when she got the early shift, which was four out of seven days in the week, she would get up at 4, start her rounds at 5, and usually she could manage to finish at around 10.

"this should fit you," bexley pointed to a maids outfit that had been folded and placed on one of the top shelves in her closet.

we had quickly made our way down here, and we needed to leave as soon as i looked ordinarily enough to blend in amongst other workers.

bexley braided my hair down my back, put a few clips in it where i had shorter pieces in the front, and after i had changed, we left for her rounds.

i followed her around for the hours it took, while we slipped in conversation here and there.
she had information i needed on where wesley could be, and how to get in and out without being noticed.
i helped her with cleaning, waking up guests in the castle, and another handful of small tasks along the way.

at around 9.30, however, we came to a halt. being two people had sped up the process of her work, but as soon as we moved on to her last task, it all slowed down again.

the carrier boys.

every morning the castle received new supplies, some were delivered during the night and throughout the morning carrier boys would spread them around. get them where they needed to be.

edible packages were brought to the kitchen and pantry, fabrics and other materials were brought to the seamstresses and so on. but the carrier boys were indeed, well, boys.

they were, without a doubt, the at-most immature beings i had ever encountered. i had never met anyone like them.

"where to?" the eldest, adam, had asked for the fourth time. i was well aware he would ignore my answer, so i chose not to give him one.

"some people are born to give others headaches so the ones who are born to cure them don't get bored," bexley whispers in my ear, and i can't help but chuckle.