sixteen

around midnight, in the midst of a dream i wished to stay in, i was woken up. i sat up straight, grabbing the side of my head after pushing a few hairs out of my sight. 

i took in a few deep breaths feeling how my heart had sped up its pace. i glanced around my room, wondering what had disturbed my sleep. the snow was slowly climbing up the castle walls which only frustrated mercer and his nobles further by each day. personally, i quite enjoyed the peace it brought to be stuck inside. it was as if had the outside world been shut off, and were no longer there. 

suddenly, a scream tore through the air, cutting into my eardrum. i covered my ears with my hands in shock as the scream disappeared as quickly as it had come. my eyes were wide as i swung my legs out over the edge of the bed. what the hell was happening?

i made my way over the floor, attempting to turn my doorknob. my door was locked, as always, and with a defeated sigh, i returned to bed. 

whoever had been screaming must have woken someone else as well. hopefully, someone who wasn't a prisoner behind a locked door. they could deal with whatever was happening.

i just barely managed to pull my sheets over my stomach before another scream sounded. it was a longer one this time, and i sat up with a frustrated grunt. i pouted on my way to the door once again, pulling as hard as i could. it didn't budge. taking a step back to admire my opponent, i tapped my foot impatiently with crossed arms. i studied the door closely, attempting to find a weak spot on it. 

there wasn't one. 

the door was a solid, thick piece of wood that seemed build for this kind of situation. perhaps, if i could just break off the hinges or.... 

i jumped as another scream sounded. "oh!" anger washed over me as my ears complained. with a yell i couldn't help, i punched my hand straight through the door, before even knowing what had happened. 

i took back my arm, peaking through the hole i had just made. "well," i raised my eyebrows, quite impressed. grey, my arse. i just punched straight through a door: try to call that boring. 

i cocked my head to the side as i noticed the thickness of the wood. i raised my hand not noticing more than a few bleeding splinters in the thin skin. 

i grabbed the doorknob giving it my best. i pulled with all my strength but it was to no use. "it makes no sense," i mumble to myself, giving it another try. i wrapped both my hands around it this time pulling with all my weight, but it wouldn't even twist slightly. 

then, another scream erupted. it was shorter than the previous ones but it was enough. i was so frustrated with the entirety of the situation, something washed over me. it had happened once before, back to when i had closed the front doors of the castle. the doors had glowed purple before shutting with such speed and strength, i had no idea how to explain and i hadn't needed to. not a single person had asked me about it, not even mercer. in a way, i was grateful, but it seemed a bit strange at the same time. 

now, at this time, my palm along with the doorknob glowed red as my hand heated up the metal it was wrapped around. i pulled towards my knob and not only did the doorknob follow: the rest of the door did as well. 

it had been pulled straight off the hinges and as i let go, i fell to the floor, barely passing by me as i stepped aside. i stared at the door before my feet. "mm," i nodded, satisfied. 

i stepped over the wood, moving down the halls towards the screams. a floor down, another scream sounded and even louder than before. i was getting closer. i continued down until i almost couldn't bear it anymore. the screams kept getting louder, i feared for my hearing. then, finally, i saw a server rush out of a room. the expression on her face gave me everything i needed to know. i walked up and opened the door just as the girl screamed again. 

bright light faced me as i stepped into the room, taking in the sight. a girl was standing on a short platform that had been placed in front of a large mirror. a seamstress stood by her side, sewing the side of the dress she was wearing. 

"ow!" she complained as the needly poked her through the thin fabric. 

"what is happening?" i speak through gritted teeth. 

"excuse me, miss. did we wake you?" the seamstress bows, apologising. 

"yes, very much so." i answer, anger coming off me in waves. 

"i'm being fitted for a dress," the girl says, sticking her nose so high up in the air, i fear she might fall back. i roll my eyes. "this was the only time that fit into my schedule," 

"your schedule of what? we'll be snowed in, soon." i spit out. i would have pulled her hair if i hadn't learned from kindergarten. my god. who gave her that personality?

she screamed again as the needle went through the fabric. it looked painful, but the entire castle didn't need to take a share of her pain, did it?

"you..." i start, but is cut off as both their gazes turn to someone behind me. 

"mars..." mercer speaks, walking towards me with an innocent smile on her lips. "why are you up?" 

my eyes widen as i gesture to the goat next to me. "are you serious?" i ask, refraining from yelling. 

"yes, i understand. maeve is simply just trying to get her dress fitted for the welcoming ball," he attempts to take my hand but i move away. 

i had been told of the ball before. i believe it was bexley who had initially mentioned it. she had said that the servers were plenty busy with planning and prepping for it. hadn't that passed already? 

"yes, which is quite hard with all the disturbances you are bringing," the girl looked directly at me as she raised her arm, giving the seamstress more space. 

"you..." i speak, attempting to near her before i feel my feet leave the ground beneath me. mercer has me lifted off the ground before throwing me over his shoulder. i continue glaring at her, as i command him to set me down. he ignores my requests and leaves the room. i punch his back wanting to be set down. 

"calm down, mars." he speaks, his grip tight on my thighs, keeping me in place. he only walks down a door or two before sitting me down. he opens the door we stand in front of, gesturing me to go in first. i frown, wanting to go back and strangle that girl, but he places a hand on the wall creating a barrier between me and the way back. 

i mumble my frustrations under my breath as i enter the room. "here she is," mercer speaks to the seamstress inside. she is arranging her needles and fabrics on a smaller table as she looks up. she smiles, thanks him and bows shortly. 

"try not to wake up the castle, okay?" mercer speaks as he closed the door. i get up on my tippy toes ready to fight him, but he calmly laughs before the door clicks closed. i attempt to open it again but as i should have understood by now: closed means locked. 

"you must be maire-grace," the seamstress says. her voice is rather monotone, but soft as well. i turn around, my back pressed up against the door, as i watch her offer me a smile. i sigh as she speaks up again, this time understanding my need to leave here. "let's hurry this along, shall we?"