Chapter Sixteen: A Visit at the Bridgertons'

While this Author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the duke and duchess returning to us bearing a surprise. Or, and perhaps more likely, we might turn our attention to finding new lovebirds to keep our astute eyes on. And we shall find them close to home. Indeed, very much to the disappointment of ambitious mamas and eager debutantes, Mr. Benedict Bridgerton seems to have an eye only for Miss Granville, who has refused to entertain any suitors. Whether for the sake of Mr. Bridgerton, or because of having enough of the ton, this Author cannot tell, but either way, we cannot blame her. Perhaps the Bridgertons might have another wedding this Season...

"Don't say a word," Franny wasn't surprised a bit by Eloise's strange way of greeting. Her eyes darted to both sides as she looked nervously around, then grabbed Franny by the hand and yanked her in. Without offering a further explanation, she started dragging her in the direction of the stairs. Franny wouldn't dare to question Eloise, especially in this state, so she followed her without a sound.

"What do you think you are doing, Eloise?" Snapped a voice in a tone that could only belong to a mother. Eloise stopped dead in her tracks, huffed and let out a big sigh.

"Well, I guess we are busted."

"We certainly do not drag guests around in this house," the viscountess continued her scolding as she walked by the stairs while the two younger ladies descended.

"Mother, this is Frances Granville, I have invited her for some tea so we should be on our way."

"Nonsense," Mrs. Bridgerton flashed a kind smile at Franny, who bobbed a nervous curtsy, "Welcome to our home, I am glad to have met you, Frances."

"The pleasure is all mine, Mrs. Bridgerton. You have the most impeccable taste; your home is lovely."

The elder lady smiled at her politely, but Franny saw that she genuinely enjoyed the compliment, "Thank you, dearest. And please call me Violet."

Franny nodded gratefully.

"Come, sit with us, the tea is still warm, and the biscuits are fresh. Have some refreshments and then you can go about your mysterious business. Penelope is already in the drawing room."

"That would be lovely, thank you, Violet," Franny replied, and her nervousness started to be dissuaded by the viscountess' welcoming manners.

"Oh, so it is Penelope who ruined our plan. She could never properly sneak around," Eloise murmured, while rolling her eyes, still huffing.

"This is my youngest daughter, Hyacinth, and our friend, Penelope Featherington. Dearests, this is Frances Granville."

Mrs. Bridgerton introduced everyone in the light-blue and crème themed drawing-room and took a seat at one of the sofas. Eloise dropped herself in a very unladylike manner next to a red-haired girl wearing a yellow dress that did not do good for her complexion, while the youngest Bridgerton in the room was covered by an easel.

"I am pleased to meet you all, please, call me Franny," Franny introduced herself, as she took a free seat across the lady of the house.

"Hmm," Hyacinth, who could not deny that she was a Bridgerton even if she wanted because of her dark black hair and a mischievous smile very similar to Colin's, cocked her head at her, "our sister is also called Frannie."

"Francesca is currently in Bath, so now with Daphne gone, I only have two daughters left to keep me company. And Eloise is insistent on cutting her presence to the very minimum."