1.11

-

-

"YOUR LUCKY, PUNK." Ares pushed Percy away from the limo. "Be grateful."

"For what?"

"That we're being so nice. If it was up to me—"

"So why haven't you killed me?" Percy shot back. It was a stupid thing to say to the god of war, but Ares nodded, like he'd finally said something intelligent.

"I'd love to kill you, seriously," he said. "But see, I got a situation. Word on Olympus is that you might start the biggest war in history. I can't risk messing that up. Besides, Aphrodite thinks you're some kinda soap-opera star or something. I kill you, that makes me look bad with her. But don't worry. I haven't forgotten my promise. Some day soon, kid—real soon—you're going to raise your sword to fight, and you're going to remember the wrath of Ares."

Percy balled his fists. "Why wait? I beat you once. How's that ankle healing up?"

He grinned crookedly. "Not bad, punk. But you got nothing on the master of taunts. I'll start the fight when I'm good and ready. Until then... Get lost."

He snapped his fingers and the world did a three-sixty, spinning in a cloud of red dust. Percy fell to the ground.

When Cassiopeia helped him up, the limousine was gone. The road, the taco restaurant, the whole town of Gila Claw was gone. Everyone was standing in the middle of the junkyard, mountains of scrap metal stretched out in every direction.

"What did she want with you?" Bianca asked, once Percy and Cassiopeia told them about Aphrodite.

"Oh, uh, not sure," Percy lied.

"She said to be careful in my stepdad's junkyard," Cassiopeia said. "She said not to pick anything up."

Katniss narrowed her eyes. "Aphrodite wouldn't make a trip to only tell you that. Besides, you were gone far too long."

Percy met her eyes before looking away as if he were embarrassed. "You've met her right? She's, uh, very enthusiastic."

Zoë frowned, her eyes flitting in between him and her sister. "Be careful. Aphrodite has led many heroes astray."

"For once I agree with Zoë," Thalia said. "You can't trust Aphrodite."

"So," Percy said, obviously anxious to change the subject, "how do we get out of here?"

"That way," Zoë said. "That is west."

"How can you tell?"

"Ursa Major is in the north," she said, rolling her eyes, "which means that must be west."

She pointed west, then at the northern constellation.

"Oh, yeah," Percy said. "The bear thing."