Chapter Seven

A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I entered Rochester. From the second I left Fork I have been dreading this moment, but now that it was so close I felt the pit in my stomach lessen. Soon this will all be over and I can move on with my life. At first, I didn't like the idea of going to Florida, but I think I will enjoy being close to an ocean that I can enjoy. It was always too cold in Forks to go to the beach and even when it wasn't the people on the reservation made it a point to show me that I was not welcomed there.

Rochester was extremely beautiful. It was just as cold and cloudy as Forks, but it had so much character that Forks didn't. Needing to stretch my legs a bit before facing my father I pulled into a crowded gas station. Turning off the truck I immediately jumped out onto the concrete pavement. My legs groaned in protest at the sudden change and almost threatened to buckle underneath me. Bracing myself on the truck I took a few moments to take in the world around me. There were roughly seventeen people here. Twelve inside and five outside. One man stood next to the door leading inside. He looked just a few years older than me and was leaned against the wall with a cigarette held in between his lips. Slightly shaggy brown hair hung in his face covering his eyes. He was dressed in a pair of worn-out blue jeans and a long-sleeve gray shirt. A smile spread across his face when he noticed me.

"Long way from home?" He questions gesturing to the license plate on my truck with his cigarette.

"I guess you could say that," I responded letting go of the truck and taking a few steps past him and towards the door.

"What brings you to the east coast?" I stopped at his question and turned to look at him. Other than the other lack of regard for his health with his smoking habit he didn't seem to pose a threat. He was relaxed and keeping to his own space. Besides, even if he did try something he would be on the ground quicker than he could say 'baby'.

"Nothing special. Just visiting friends."

"Well, you have some very lucky friends."

"Yeah well, I shouldn't leave them waiting." I turned and started to walk into the building. In one swift motion, he threw his cigarette onto the ground and followed me inside. I tensed slightly at his sudden closeness and clenched my fist. Ignoring him I walked over to the coolers and grabbed an energy drink.

"I'm Greg by the way." He leaned against the cooler next to me and held out his hand expecting me to take it. Smirking I turn and start to walk away.

"How nice," I called over my shoulder as I walked over to the case of doughnuts. He stood there stunned for a few moments before following behind me. He came to a stop next to me as I looked over my man options.

"What's your name?" He questioned as I finally decided on a chocolate-covered doughnut. Dropping it in the plastic bag I looked at him for a second before turning to get in line.

"Why would I do that?" He let out a laugh. Continuing to stand next to me he ran his hand through his hair.

"Because I told you my name and when someone tells you their name normally you tell them your name in return."

"But how do I know I can trust you with my name?" I crossed my arms over my chest staring pointedly at him. "You could be a stalker or an evil Appellomancer."

"A what?"

"A name wizard. You could want my name so that you can cast a curse on me." With this, he let out a loud belly laugh. Throwing his head back and closing his eyes. I looked away to stop myself from smiling.

"I promise, if I was an Appellomancer, I definitely wouldn't curse you." Shaking my head I took a step forward with the rest of the line.

"Allase a lady can never be too careful." Setting my items on the counter I dug into my pockets for my wallet. Before I could register what was going on a twenty-dollar bill was placed on the counter and two hands were running away with my stuff.