Reader Special: Past Sneak Peak

She looked peaceful here. Small amounts of light shine through the thick canopy of trees reflecting slightly off her face and hair. She sat at the base of a tree with her legs crossed. A well-worn book sat in her hands, eyes scanning the words at a leisurely pace.

I felt the wet grass squish between my toes as I walked through the backyard towards my mother. Quickly I pulled on a jacket to keep out the cold. Throwing my messy hair into a ponytail out of my face.

"Mom?" I called out to get her attention. She looked up surprised for a second and then concerned as she saw me outside in my pajamas.

"Hey, sweetie. I thought you were still asleep." She stated. That assumption would be a correct one. I have been sleeping in later and later since he passed.

"People keep ringing the doorbell. They think they can bring him back with casseroles." I attempted to joke, but it came out flat. It didn't feel like I would ever be able to joke again.

"I know. That's why I came out here. I thought maybe they would stop if they thought no one was awake." She said closing the book and setting it down next to her. "Besides the house sounds too quiet without him watching TV in the living room." I nodded in response to the sentiment. I still expected him to walk through the door after work sometimes.

"What are you reading?" I questioned wanting a distraction. A soft smile crossed her lips and she held up the front of the book for me to see.

"Pride and Prejudice. It's seemed like a Jane Auston type of day." I smiled back at her. She then patted the ground next to her. "Come sit with me. I'll read to you as I used to when you were little." The fond memories of us curled up while she read to me came back to me. Nodding my head, I quickly sat down next to her. Resting my head on her shoulder I closed my eyes.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, is in want of a wife." She read the first line to me pausing for a second before continuing. That is how we spent our morning. Curled up under a tree being serenaded by the words of Jane Auston.

Our reading session came to an end when the rain began to drizzle down on us down through the trees. Quickly we gathered ourselves and made our way into the house before the rain started to pour down on us.

"Are you hungry?" My mom questioned walking into the kitchen. "I'll cook something so that we don't have to eat more casserole." I nodded and followed her into the kitchen. She set the book down and began digging through the fridge looking for something to cook.

Picking up the book I began flipping through the pages absent-mindedly. Soon the smell of cooking food filled the kitchen. Looking back at me and the book my mom smiled.

"If you want to you can continue reading." She then turns back to the food on the stove. Picking up the book I opened to where we had left off and began reading out loud to fill the silence. Then after a moment, I stopped.

"Hey, mom."

"Yeah, sweetheart?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."