Chapter 30: Talking to Andrea and Josh

Cressida opened her door in the morning, running late for class, and nearly tripped over Graham, who'd fallen asleep leaning against the door. She carefully stepped over him and kept going, down the stairs and out into the cold, bright December day. She felt him looking after her.

How could the sun be shining so brightly, how could the sky be so blue, when her world was such a fucked up mess? Cressida hurried to the subway, glad she'd gone back for her coat, at least. This was the first day of her life A.G., After Graham, and she'd better get on with it, she supposed.

She thought she was doing a pretty good job. All during her first class, she took notes, made doodles in the margin of her reading, and generally acted as she usually did. She went to her second class, where Andrea handed her the usual croissant and coffee.

"Oh em gee, girlie, what's wrong? You look like hammered shit," Andrea said after taking a good look at Cressida's face.

Cressida took a bite of her croissant and stared at her friend. "Wow, thanks, Andrea, hammered shit is exactly the look I was going for this morning when I got out of bed." She took a deep breath. "I broke up with Graham last night."

"What? Why?"

Just then the teacher walked in, and the rest of the conversation had to wait until class was over.

Andrea grasped Cressida by the arm and led her away from the groups that were gathering to chit chat after class. "Now, tell me everything."

"He—he—I can't," Cressida whispered, leaning into Andrea's shoulder.

"Look, if you don't want to, that's fine, but usually it helps in situations like this to talk about it, you know?" Andrea put a protective arm around Cressida's quaking shoulders.

"Oh god, Andrea, I feel sick. I need a bathroom, pronto."

Andrea quickly guided Cressida to the closest bathroom, where the croissant and coffee came roiling up out of her while Andrea held her hair out of the way and rubbed her back.

"Wow, this must be really bad," she noted when Cressida was finished. "Do you want to try to talk about it?"

Cressida looked at Andrea, taking a deep breath, and finally nodded. "Not in the coffee shop, though, I think the smells might make me sick again."

They walked to the lounge area and, amazingly, found an open sofa. They both sat, and Cressida tried again. "He cheated on me, Andrea."

Andrea made a face of commiseration. "Oh, no, Cressy, I'm so, so sorry. Are you sure? I mean, did he tell you or what?"

"It's pretty hard to doubt your own eyes," Cressida said. "I walked in on them with their shirts off, going at it on the bed."

"Who was it?"

"His ex."

Andrea gasped. "You mean that poker up her ass English chick?"

Cressida nodded, tears welling up.

"But they weren't actually doing it. Having sex, I mean."

"No, but that's where it was headed."

"Or he could've been getting ready to stop?"

Cressida glared at Andrea. "Please."

"Sorry, just trying to put a good spin on things."

"There's no way to put a good spin on this, Andrea, there just isn't."

"But all I'm saying is that you don't know what was in his head, right? I mean, had you just had a fight or something?" She saw the look on Cressida's face and hastily backtracked. "Not that that's an excuse or anything."