Chapter 33: Convos With the Prof and Mikey

The Hamilton campus was beautiful, even in its austere, winter setting. The buildings were all gothic, flying buttresses and arched stained glass windows.

"Wow," Cressida said, looking around.

"Yeah, I know," Graham said. "You can't imagine what it was like for me to come from White Chalk to Hell's Kitchen to here. I mean, I'd seen places like this in movies and stuff, but never in person. When I found out I'd get to go to school here, it was like a miracle."

Cressida looked with interest at the students who were all around her. Because so many of its students were international and had no place to go for the holidays, the campus didn't ever close. The school had a hushed, vacation air about it, a lack of vibrance that it must have during regular school days.

She tried to imagine Graham there as a student, hurrying to get to class, music in his case. She smiled at the image.

They took the stairs to the third floor, their footsteps echoing up and down the stairwell, to where the professors' offices were.

Graham tapped on her door. "Professor Thurman?"

She looked up from her monitor, a measured smile on her face. "Graham, what a pleasure. And Cressida, how lovely. Have a seat, please. What can I do for you?"

"I'd like to get back in the competition, if I could," Graham said bluntly. "I realize I made a mistake when I withdrew. Do you think it's possible?"

"Really, Graham, no apology for the terrible things you said the last time we spoke?" Professor Thurman's voice was brittle. "No, 'I'm sorry for calling you those hideous names'?"

Graham sat back in his chair. "If I recall, you said some pretty nasty things yourself, Prof. Something about how I wouldn't be anywhere without you, and I was lucky you and Katherine had chosen me, when you could've chosen anyone? That I was replaceable? Do I get an apology for those things?"

The professor looked at Graham, then Cressida, then back to Graham. "So I take it you two have 'kissed and made up'?" she asked, changing the subject.

Graham took Cressida's hand and kissed it. "We have. Now, about the competition—"

"We'll get to that in a minute. I'm speaking now as a mother, you understand. Does Katherine know about this?"

"Yes. In a way, she's the one responsible for getting us back together."

The professor sat back in her chair. "I see. And if I can do this, get you back in, this one—" and here she gestured at Cressida, "—has no problem with you living in our house and practicing with me?"

"Oh, I won't be doing that. I don't need a place to stay."

Professor Thurman looked at him sharply. "But where will you live? What will you practice on?"

"I'm staying with Cressida until my apartment's ready, and I've found a church nearby that will let me practice on their piano in exchange for some custodial duties. I can make it work."

"You're going to be a janitor? Please, Graham, that's so beneath you. Why would you want that when you can have everything you need or want at my apartment?"

Graham was silent.

"Is this one of her conditions to having you back?" Professor Thurman gestured again at Cressida. "That you're to have nothing to do with Katherine and me?"

Graham shook his head. "It's one of mine. I need you to get me back into the competition, but that's all I need from you, honestly. Can you do it or not?"