~27

After some time, Commander Erwin and his troops with the Military police showed up as they've been informed about the situation. Mikasa felt better and was up and about while Hange was still unconscious. 

Moblit had woken up and talked to Erwin about deploying the lifts. Hange suddenly woke up and crawled to Moblit.

"M-Moblit. Give me a map."

Moblit grabbed a map and everyone surrounded Hange while they explained the plan.

"It might be a long shot, but there is a giant forest right here," Hange said as they pointed on the map. "We should head straight for it. It's not like they have a way to hide the Armored's giant footsteps, but I think that that's where they're headed."

"Why's that?" Erwin asked.

"It's a gamble, but even if they have the strength to turn into Titans, the other Titans outside might still be a threat. Especially after all that fighting. They're probably not as bad off as Eren but I'm sure that they're exhausted. Like how Annie was out cold for a while."

Marie listened closely while holding Hange up since they were still badly injured. 

"Let's assume for now that their destination is somewhere outside of Wall Maria. Considering that distance, they'll have to rest somewhere along the way to recover their stamina. They'll most likely rest at a place where Titans are unable to reach them. At least until nightfall when the Titans can't move."

This put everyone into action. Everyone got to their assigned squads and Marie was with Armin, Jean, Mikasa, Hannes, and another guy from the Garrison. They were riding outside the walls and Mikasa was going way too much forward. 

Marie had a good bond with her horse and she was able to let go of the reins so that she could use sign language while riding her horse.

Marie could feel that everyone was tense, especially Jean. Marie went back a little so that she was next to him and that he could see her using sign language.

"Jean, you good?"

"Y-Yeah. It's just that that suicidal blockhead got us into trouble." Jean said not very sure.

"I can't lie that we're in big trouble and I can tell this is going to be nasty but... Without Eren, there's hardly any hope for us."

"Yeah, That's why we have to save that idiot." 

It was about one hour before dawn and the troops started to get close to the forest of giant trees. All around them were red smoke signals, meaning that they were surrounded. There was a way to get around it but following a detour would be too late. Commander Erwin decided to force their way through and that the soldiers had to prepare for battle.

"This is going to get shitty..."

Titans were swarming around them as they were nearing the entrance of the forest. A thunder sound was heard and light from inside the forest was seen.

"That's the light when a Titan transforms!" Armin shouted and Erwin heard what he said.

"Then we're just in time. Soldiers, disperse!" Erwin shouted. "We believe the enemy has already transformed! Locate Eren and retrieve him!"

The formation split apart as one side went left and the other side went right. The Military police were struggling already as quite a few of them got eaten. 

"Another one from the Military!" Jean said.

"Battle is not our objective! Prioritize recovery and retreat!" Erwin shouted and most of the troops got into the forest and switched to ODM gear.