Chapter 3

Alys had fallen asleep with her dress and her shawl still on. She woke up in the morning with a slight headache, and her dress was crumpled from sleeping in it. She started a fire, and changed into her worn out dress. The humiliation of the night before came back to her in waves. She wished she could crawl into a dark hole and never be found by anyone ever again. What had she done to make Brom want to humiliate her like that? Was it just that he wanted to feel powerful over her? Alys forced herself to eat some bread and headed to the barn to do the chores. She had left some goods baking, but she would not be going to the market today. Her head hurt too much, and it would not kill her to stay at home sewing her second dress instead of standing outside behind her table in the cold.

She did not even go to the Fendrel's to pick up supplies from Lady Fendrel, as she did not want to take the chance of running into Brom.

She spent the day sewing, until someone knocked on the thin boards of her door. Puzzled by who could possibly be calling her, she put down her needle work and walked the few short sides to cross the room to the door.

She opened the door to see Brom's face.

"My Lord," she managed to spit out, though she felt she should not have to show him any respect.

"Will you walk with me for a bit?" He asked, making his question sound more like a command.

Alys narrowed her eyes, trying to figure out what he was up to.

"I'm in the middle of something."

"It will not take long," Brom assured her, "I swear."

Alys sighed and grabbed her shawl to wrap around herself. She banked the fire and joined Brom outside.

They walked behind the barn into the forest. They walked for a few minutes in silence, making Alys more and more anxious.

"Did you enjoy the feast last night?" Brom finally said to break the silence.

Alys almost laughed in reply. She could not imagine he could think that she would have enjoyed the night at all.

"It was not my type of social event," was all she replied.

Surprisingly, Brom just nodded as if to except this.

"I suppose it takes some getting use to."

Alys shrugged.

They followed a trail that Alys knew led deep into the forest, where the husbands of peasant women from the market hunted for their meet.

"Did you hear that I am to move into my own court within the week?" Brom asked her, continuing to walk.

This was not surprising. It was common for men who had been a soldier for over a year to receive payment enough to purchase their own household or court. They became Lords of their own small castle, answering to no one but men of the king when they were on their own property.

"Good news." Alys said, trying to sound happy for him. In reality, she was a little happy. Having his own court meant he would no longer be around to force her into attending his social events.

"Where is it located?"

Brom smiled in spite of himself.

"A day's ride from here, towards the mountains. It is quite large, and is surrounded by many more courts owned by other soldiers."

Alys nodded, pretending to listen when she really could not care less about Brom's court. Why of all the people he could be walking with, had he asked her? All she could think about was the dress that was sitting partly made on her bed.