Chapter 29

Explaining to Thoren that she was leaving and would not be marrying him was one of the hardest things Alys had ever had to do. Not because he made it difficult; he was more understanding and accepting than Alys had dared to hope for. So much so, it made it worse.

He cared for her deeply, that much was evident. He kept up an emotionless expression, but Alys could tell by his voice that he was hurt. She tried her best to explain the situation to him. When she told him that she was the very servant that had be carrying the king's child the previous year, he seemed to take it better. Everyone in the kingdom knew about that servant. Thoren had heard all the rumours and gossip while in the tavern. But he did not know it had been Alys. Maybe he felt sorry for her, or maybe he thought she was used goods from a king, but he was reasonable.

The king even offered him a position at the palace, but Thoren turned it down, saying that he did not want to be around Alys if she broke off their engagement.

Alys knew that his feelings and wishes were fair. More than fair, even generous. Though she did wish that he would accept Dastrehan's offer, as she knew she would worry about him.

Before they left, Dastrehan made Thoren give him his word that he would contact him if he ever fell upon hard times. It was a small comfort to Alys, but she was thankful all the same.

Saying good-bye to the children and the other ladies at the orphanage where Alys had spent a good chunk of her time over the previous months was difficult for her as well. Dastrehan saw to it that their treasury was filled, and Alys promised that she would send resources to them on regular occasions and visit as soon as possible.

It felt strange and foreign to her to be able to make these promises now, but it seemed to be one of the things she was the most excited to be able to do.

It only took a few minutes for Alys to gather her belongings from her little room about the tavern. Dastrehan brought a new trunk up for her, and she quickly packed her clothes into it.  When she pulled out her sapphire necklace, she hesitated to place it in the trunk.

"I know it will be safe," she said to Dastrehan, who stood waiting in the doorway, "But I hate to take the chance."

"Put it on then," he said with a shrug, "No one is going to take it from you."

Alys realized that this was the first time that she could wear her precious necklace without worrying about it being taken from her. She gently put it on and marveled at the feeling of the cold stone against her skin.

It would definitely take some getting used to.

The only thing remaining in her secret spot under the floorboards was Dastrehan's unopened letter.  She placed it carefully into the trunk without letting Dastrehan see it.
She would open it one day, but not yet.

"I'm ready." She said as she closed the trunk.  Dastrehan glanced at her simple dress and grinned, "Better enjoy wearing plain dresses while you still can. You'll be getting a full wardrobe of new dresses once we get back to the palace."

He winked, to which she rolled her eyes and batted at him playfully as she passed through the door, leaving her simple room behind her forever.

The trip back to the palace was made on horse back, as Dastrehan did not have the luxury of leisurely travel.  The palace would be hosting a massive event for the arrival of the Balearian advisors. The tensions between the two kingdoms were volatile, and Dastrehan was preparing to negotiate and convince them that his kingdom had no part in the death of the Balearian prince, nor the disappearance of their princess.

Marniac was also sending advisors, though they were still bitter about how the royal family parted with the king the year before. The alliance was tense, but it still remained for the time being.