prologue

prologue

Sometimes you have to kind of die inside in order to rise from your own ashes and believe in yourself and love yourself to become a new person.

Xena's origin—1278 BC

"Please, Lentulus, don't do this," Xena begs Lentulus.

Lentulus had cut the child, their daughter, from her womb and walked outside to the cliffs, with Xena covered in blood, crawling after her.

"Do you think I don't know about your affairs? I overlooked the first two, but this one; this child must die!" Lentulus shouted.

"I never had any affairs, Lentulus, and our children are yours," Xena said.

"Lies!" Lentulus screamed.

Xena manages to gather strength and grabs her daughter out of Lentulus's arms.

Xena looks down at the newborn in her arms and realizes what Lentulus has done; the baby...her baby was dead. Her daughter was only alive for a few minutes before she was killed by Lentulus.

"No!" Xena screamed.

She is horrified at the loss of her child.

Lentulus chuckles.

"That weak child is dead," Lentulus said.

Xena cough as she knows she is dying from her wounds caused by Lentulus cutting the baby out of her womb.

She knows that if she remains alive that Lentulus will torture her, so she decides to end her life, especially since she has no reason to live now with her children being dead.

Before the precipice, she claims with a smile that Lentulus will pay for everything he has done to her.

With the newborn in her arms, she falls, with a sad smile, backward off the edge, killing nearly herself.

At the bottom of the cliff, an unknown vampire feeds on Xena after finding her barely breathing and changes her.

Three days later, after Xena woke up from her change, she kills the vampire who changed her. She buries her baby and learns to hunt, and waits for Lentulus to find her.

On the fourth day, Lentulus and a couple of his men search the bottom of the cliff, where they find Xena standing with blood around her mouth and fangs.

Xena smirks as the men scream at her sight.

She kills them and sents off to discover more about her new life as a vampire.