chapter three

chapter three ~ hunger point

All shadows of clouds the sun cannot hide
like the moon cannot stop oceanic tide;
but a hidden star can still be smiling
at night's black spell on darkness, beguiling

All shadows of clouds the sun cannot hide like the moon cannot stop oceanic tide;but a hidden star can still be smiling at night's black spell on darkness, beguiling

"Mistress, did you have to change your appearance?" Markella asked as she was shocked by seeing Xena in modern clothing.

"We have to fit in, Markella," Xena answered.

Xena and Markella walked into the diner and took seats at an empty booth when an officer walked up to them.

"Are you two ladies new here?" A man asked.

Xena looked the man up and down before she read his badge that stated he was the chief of police in this rainy town.

"Not really; we're here to visit family," Xena answered.

"Well, I'm Charlie Swan, chief of police, and I know every single person in this town. Who are you guys here to visit?" Charlie asked.

"The Lombardis," Xena answered.

Charlie was surprised to hear that the two women in front of him were related to the notoriously private Lombardi family, who was one of the town's founding settlers.

"How are you two related to the Lombardis?" Charlie asked.

"Well, Chief Swan, I'm Xena Lombardi, great-granddaughter of Luther Lombardi, and this is my sister, Markella Lombardi," Xena explained.

Charlie gasped.

"Oh, you're Lombardis then. In that case, please let me know if you ladies ever need anything," Charlie said as he handed Xena his business card with his phone number.

"Thank you," Xena said.

"See you ladies around, and I hope you enjoy the new and improved Forks," Charlie said as he walked away from the table.

Xena watched as Charlie exited the diner and eavesdropped on people now gossiping about them being related to the Lombardi family.

"He looks like a gentle soul; that's rare in a man," Xena said.

"It's not the gentle part I have a problem with; it's the dull, stupid part," Markella said.

=• •=• •=• •=

"Who sent you?" Edward asked sternly.

"We come alone," Markella answered.

"And in peace," Xena said.

"Hello, my name is Carlisle. May I ask why you two have come here?" Carlisle asked.

Xena smiled.

"My sister and I heard about your situation, and remembering a similar situation from the past, we thought we could offer our service," Xena explained to Carlisle.

"You've dealt something like this in the past," Edward said.

"When you're as old as I am, you witness a lot of things that young vampires like you do not know about," Xena said.

"Who are you?" Edward asked.

"Edward, you foolish boy. It is an honor to be your presence, Xena," Zafrina said as she bowed her head, and so did Kachiri and Senna.

"You know who I am?" Xena asked Zafrina.

"Yes, of course, how could I not recognize an Amazon queen," Zafrina answered.

Zafrina smirked.

"I haven't heard that title in a long time," Xena said.

"The Brazilian coven spoke of you often, the warrior princess with formidable fighting skills," Kachiri said.

Markella smirked.

"See, we have a great reputation, unlike some people around here," Markella said.

"This is my sister, Markella," Xena said.

"Carlisle, it would do us good to have Xena and Markella on our side; they're older than the Volturi," Senna said.

"Older than the Volturi?" Bella asked.

"I was born in Greece in 1250 B.C. So that makes me older than all of you here and the Volturi," Xena answered.

"Ancient Greece," Bella said.

"How come I can't read your mind?" Edward asked.

"No one's gifts work on me," Xena replied.