thirteen

Eye-watering streaks of light beamed down from the fairly large window adjacent to my position on the floor, causing my mind to slowly switch awake from its deep slumber--I still wasn't used to this new environment, nearly forgetting that I slept over at someone else's house. I groaned at the instant feeling of tiredness reigning over my body like a sickness and mentally sulked. Closing my eyes again, I felt the warm sensation of Tsukishima's spare bedding hugging my body softly, entangled in my arms and legs and enticing me to stay as still as a statue under its addicting touch; it also smelt of the welcoming aroma of the Tsukishima household which consisted of a relaxing laundry detergent, that hasn't once left my nose, and the surprisingly compelling scent of floor polish. I was under a state of sleepy bliss and I expelled thoughts of school and waking from my cocoon just to have a couple more minutes of this comfortable heaven.

Until I felt something or even someone, aggressively shake my right leg with eager repetition.

"For the last time, get up or I'm going to leave without you," Tsukishima mumbled, his mouth bombarded with his blue toothbrush and toothpaste making his words hard to hear over his brushing, however enough to render me awake. At once, he removed his leg from mine and waited for a response.

"Just five more minutes." I dug my face even move into the heavenly fabric of the pillow, savouring its heat and protection away from the deadly glare of the sun. I swear this bed is more comfortable than it was last night.

"For god sake, you're such a child." I could hear Tsukishima's angry stomps make their way back to the bathroom as the echoing sound of the tap began to play. I could tell by the blur of black clothing in the corner of my eye that my classmate was already appropriately dressed and ready for the day, contrasting with me still snuggled up tightly in his sheets.

If I stay like this, I get to enjoy a couple more seconds of pure bliss, but if I do I'll most likely be left alone in this strange house with people I don't particularly know. Worst case scenario, Tsukishima locks me inside his room all day until his mom knocks and asks why there is a strange girl on his floor. Using all my might, with barely any sight, I gestured for my phone, whacking the floor before finally grasping it in my hand and peeking at the bright screen.

Looking at the time was enough for me to shoot up from my sleeping position and pounce into the cold air surrounding me, almost instantly changing my body heat completely. It was just after 8 am and normally you would start leaving in about five minutes to make it to the school gates early without having to rush or run through the streets of Miyagi--now I understand what the nagging was all about. If I get up from my cocoon of pleasure now, we might still have time to get there fashionably late. And so, without any further unneeded hesitation, bed head and all, I folded up the bedding neatly and started to get ready.

I felt ultimately exposed surrounded by Tsukishima's plastic dinosaurs and family pictures as they all stared at me with wondering eyes while I quickly got dressed into my school clothes and deemed myself presentable in front of his tiny mirror hung up on his closet door. I would be lying if I didn't add that I bashfully turned his brontosaurus away against the wall while I stripped. Then, after a quick bathroom and bag check, I nodded my head in the direction of my sulking friend, who checked himself one last time in the mirror, before opening the bedroom door for both of us to quietly sneak out with school supplies in hand. However, Tsukishima wasn't actually playing the part of sneaking around unlike last night.

"Why aren't you sneaking around?" I whispered as he obliviously pushed past me in the upstairs hallway and casually stomped to the staircase.

"No ones home except us. My mom has a part-time job at a local health care centre, so there's no need to be so annoyingly slow." And by the time he finished his sentence, Tsukishima was already partially out the door, picking up and storing what seemed to big a rather big lunch box at the side of the landing, while watching me waltz down the stairs after him in a quick manner.