4 - Medicine

"When will she wake up?" I heard some whispers, the voice was very impatient.

"She'll be awake soon." a soft voice answered.

"When?"

"Calm down..."

A few more exchanges that I tuned down. I was awake but I'd rather sleep, only my mind wouldn't let me.

I didn't bother to wonder where I am. I am still alive, that's the predicament. I fell asleep somewhere in the woods and I could care less sleeping on the open soil. What? I was sleepy, it's hard to come by with such opportunity.

My nose started to itch. Really? It's itchy... ah... dammit!

"Achooo!" I pinched the bridge of my nose. Opening one of my eyes, peeking.
"She's awake." The female in white coat, with stethoscope, ok. I assume she's the doctor.

I slowly got up, now pinching my nose for some definite reason.

"How are you feeling, dear?" The doctor asked in such a nice tone which I don't want to hear.

"I slept well." I said letting go of my nose, looking for my shoes beside the bed, but I remember that it's not like I climb in here on my own. Finding them at the foot of the nightstand. I half crawled off the bed.

"Don't move." An angry growl made me look at the other presence in the room. My dear partner.

I shot him a blank look then turned to my shoes, putting them on. I stood up stretching my shoulders, waking my muscles. I winced, and there's a growl. What the heck is wrong with him?

"I said don't move!" his voice were firm and I noticed the doctor flinched a little.
"Please go back to bed, dear."

"Uhm..." How should I say this? "Thank you for your accomodation but I should be..."

*Bam!* There's a hole in the wall.

Seriously. He punched the wall. There's cracks surrounding the hole that fits his fist. And my mouth was hanging open, unable to finish my sentence.

The doctor turned to him, now her back's facing me. Nobody said a word but he sighed and went to a corner. My eyes still on that hole. He's strong, I give him that.

"Dear, can you sit for a few minutes? I want to talk with you." Her eyes pleaded and I think if I did not have this talk, there will be another hole. But it was amusing to test the durability of the wall and his thin patience.

Unfortunately, the doctor is silently pleading.

"Ok." I sat on the bed and She smiled, somehow relieved, then she pulled a chair.

"How have you been this past few days?"

"Hmm..." I gave it a hard thinking. Nothing comes to mind though. I covered my mouth yawning. Maybe I need a little more sleep.

"Normal." I replied, not really knowing if its the right answer.

"Normal? Could you elaborate?"
Elaborate. Elaborate. Ugh. I scratched my knees. Elaborate? Aiyu is better on explaining, not me.

Elaborate?

"There's air in my lungs, my heart is still beating, my hands and feet seems to be working just fine." I said non-stop.

She smiled.

"It seems so. Have you been sleeping well?"

"Hmm..." the nightmares crossed my mind, how I'm awoken every hour, how I couldn't sleep waiting for my nightmares. "I sleep just enough." I nod at my answer. I haven't doze off in classes.

She nods. "And the bruises?" Oh, they peeked through my shirt? That's why I don't want to go to the clinic. I peeked at the man in the corner. Narrowing my eyes. Then going back to the doctor. "It'll be gone."

"I hope it will. Now, I suggest you take a rest, maybe take some days off school and avoid stress." His eyes immediately turned away. Stress.

"That might be a little difficult." I mumbled. "Is that all?"

"For now. I can only give you some pain reliever." She handed me a small bottle, I took it without question. I don't really like to argue now.

"Thank you... for....uhm.. this." I stood up, this time I want to get off this room.
The door opened. My partner holding the knob.

"I shall drive you home." He whispered.
I did not say anything as he escorted me towards the car. My sight trained at his back. This clinging feeling that I want to run my hand on his back, wanting to feel... security. I gulped. Holding whatever thoughts. The sudden want, need rather, is not a luxury I can afford.
So, stayed there behind him. Never to touch him, never to walk by his side. Never to reach out.

I slipped to this black sedan, putting on my seatbelt, gripping at it tightly.

I don't want him.

I don't need him.

He drove seeing I'm all set.
But I was never ready to take any journey to a place I can never be.

------------
(I know nothing makes much sense yet, but please continue reading.)