Chapter 2

Kim SangBum and his mother was relaxing in the living room, watching television as they snuggled on the couch. It has been a good day, SangBum couldn't stop thinking about the ajussi at the park. The feeling he felt when he heard his name for the first time. Why did he feel like that? Was something wrong with him?

"Eomma...have you ever felt really sad after hearing someone's name?", SangBum asked his mother

"Hmm? Why this question?"

"I don't know...I felt so upset after hearing this ajussi's name today."

His mother narrowed her eyes on her son, "What ajussi?"

"The ajussi at the park who helped me up when I fell off the bike. He was there today.", SangBum explained

"Didn't I tell you not to talk to strangers?"

"I know...but he's nice. And look, I'm fine.", the boy showed his sorry smile to try and diffuse his mother's displeasure.

His mother sighed, "Don't do it next time."

"You didn't answer my question", SangBum added

"If there's a name that would make me feel sad...it would be your father's."

"Is it because he's gone?", SangBum asked carefully, sensing the melancholy in her tone

"Yes. But also because I loved him", she said as she placed a kiss on his forehead

Then the doorbell rang, his mother got up from the couch, "there shouldn't be anyone we're expecting at this time."

SangBum continued to watch the television as his mother went to answer the door. He could hear the door click open and his mother asking for the identity of whoever it was. He heard a man's voice but he couldn't make out what he had said. Then his mother's scream echoed throughout the apartment.

"SangBum ah run!", the woman yelled at the top of her lungs from the front door

SangBum got up from the couch, he didn't have the time to react before seeing his mother being thrown into the house, landing hard on the wooden floor.

SangBum ran over to his mother's side, "Eomma! Eomma!", there was blood coming out from her stomach, SangBum put his hands over it to try and stop the bleeding.

"R-run", his mother managed to croak out

The nine year old boy is now a crying mess, "Eommaaa! Don't leave me!"

The sound of heavy footsteps entering made SangBum look up from his mother, a man in a three piece suit appears before them. Most likely Korean. He didn't look more than mid thirties. But what terrified SangBum to the bones were his icy blue eyes and...and sharp claws coming out of his right hand?

SangBum feel back onto his hands, in shock of the sight before him. Then his mother's words played in his mind again. This isn't the time to freeze . SangBum ran to his room with all his might, slamming the door shut and locking it. If they didn't live on the 10th floor he'd jump out of the window by now. All he could do was crouch down in the corner, hoping that the wall he's leaning against could swallow him.

Someone, save me! Ajussi...Lee Yeon...save me...

The intruder destroyed the door, startling SangBum as he screams at the loud noise from the door breaking. The man walked in, stopping very close by before SangBum's trembling body.

"Lee Rang...", the man made an evil smirk, "How interesting...reborn as a being you despised so much."

SangBum felt a strange sense of familiarity, as if that name belonged to him. Though he did say a word, he didn't even breathe nor allow a tear to fall. Afraid that any movements would cost his life. Then the man grabbed onto one of his arms, no matter how hard he tried to free himself, he was being dragged out of his corner.