Chapter 9

"I'll do it", Rang announced, causing his older brother to let out a sigh of frustration

"Are you fucking crazy? It's not even a contract!", Yeon argued, losing his temper. He was angry because he cared for Rang, and this idiot is not at all considerate for how other people feel about his ruthless decisions.

Rang closed his eyes and sighed, "Even so. I'll do it."

"You know you can't beat Dueoksini on your own! You're going on a death mission!"

The younger Gumiho stared at Yeon and looked over to Lin, "If there's a chance, I'll take it."

"Why?", This time it was Lin. Although he was the one who asked Rang to do it, he had expected the latter to disagree.

Honestly, Rang didn't know too, all he could come up with was a shrug and simply stating, "It's my choice"

Yeon didn't say anything to that, he was still furious with his brother, but all the words he wanted to say died in his mouth.

Noticing there was no objection from the former mountain spirit, Lin cleared his throat, "Very well then, I suppose we need a plan"

"When was Dueoksini last known to have appeared before the incident?", Yeon asked

"It was the year 753 when it happened. It was said that he'd disguise as a young teenager, wearing all black, often showing up at funerals."

"That's the Silla dynasty...", Rang said with an uncertain tone.

Lin tilted his head, "What's wrong with that?"

"He wasn't even born at that time.", Yeon explained with an eye roll, as if his brother's naivety doesn't show enough of his age.

"Oh...that means..."

Rang nodded, "I can't time travel without a picture of when"

The three foxes were scratching their heads off to find a solution to their current problem. If either Yeon or Lin could go together, it would be much easier and less risky.

"Taluipa.", Yeon finally said, "She will know"
——————————
"Granny please!", Yeon whined. It's not uncommon to find him throwing a tantrum or creating a scene at this seemingly serious place. Having worked here for centuries, the afterlife administration office is more like a second home to him.

"The audacity of you brothers!", Taluipa slapped a hand on the desk, startling the Gumiho sitting across her, "When the two of you are together, the only thing that follows is chaos!"

"Please~ You had something that allowed me to connect to Jia when Eoduksini trapped her. You must have a solution to this too!"

"No!"

"Please granny...", Yeon sighed heavily and looked at Taluipa with a sincere gaze, "I don't want Lee Rang to go alone. He's my only brother and I don't want to lose him again."

Taluipa's lips curved slightly to a small smile, "Whether it's this life or the last, you brothers are fated to meet."

"Technically he's still in the same life. He was just a kid a few days ago."

"How did he manage to do that?", The granny asked, intrigued

Yeon shrugged, "I don't know, he wouldn't tell."

He then leaned in, "But unlike before, I noticed that there's a hint of lotus in his scent."

"No way, he's gone to her.", Taluipa muttered in realisation

"What do you know?", Yeon asked curiously

Taluipa cleared her throat, "Nothing", she then shifted their conversation back to the original topic, "Dueoksini is dead already! Why are you looking for trouble! Never mind I tell you how wrong it is to meddle with life and death!"