24

OUTCASTS
— 24. Redemption

   Klaus brought Cadence home that night and placed her down on her bed

   Klaus brought Cadence home that night and placed her down on her bed. By then, she had woken from her slumber to see Klaus biting into his wrist, on the verge of feeding her his blood.

"No," She argued in a stern tone and shoved his hand away.

Klaus frowned at her, wondering why she'd refuse what would heal her of her wound. She never refused before.

"Don't," He argued in a stern tone when he noticed the look on her face, immediately figuring out the reasoning behind her actions, "Don't torture yourself like that."

"I deserve these wounds," She spoke up in a soft tone, yet her expression remained void of any emotion. She was numb.

"No, you don't. It isn't your fault," Klaus argued and Cadence scoffed since that was obviously a lie, "Anyone would have done the same in your position. You cared for him. You've lost so much. You did what you did because you refused to lose anyone else."

As he stared down at her, Klaus sighed and affectionately stroked her cheek with the back of his hand. "Don't torture yourself like this because you believe you deserve it. Because you don't. Stop thinking of yourself with such disdain. You fought today. With no magic. You have a Warrior's heart. You don't give yourself enough credit," He explained, smiling sadly at the thought, "In fact, you're one of the strongest people I know."

Hearing his words, Cadence weakly sat up and began to sob. "I lose everyone I care about. Everywhere I go, pain, suffering, and death follow close behind. Who's next? Jackson? Marcel? Hunter? Hayden?" She paused and lifted her head to glance up at Klaus, "You?"

Klaus smiled at Cadence's words and gently cupped her face in his hands. "You see, love, the thing is...I'm immortal. You won't lose me. Not ever. Not unless I've driven you away as I do everyone else," He explained, smiling almost sadly at the thought, "But if you've stuck by me this long, I dare say this friendship of ours or whatever you wish to call it was meant to be."

"Please. Stop talking," Cadence pleaded in a soft tone, causing Klaus' smile to fade, "Just..."

Instead of continuing, Cadence moved closer to him and rested her head against his shoulder.

Klaus sighed and immediately pulled her closer to him. He wrapped his arms around her, pressing a light kiss to her forehead as she sobbed.

"I know this is the last thing you want to hear right now, but I feel it's necessary. I've been trying to hold off on telling you all day but I can't anymore. It's not right. Not when your children are involved," He suddenly confessed and Cadence immediately pulled away to look up at him in concern, "Something happened at the bayou."

____

Despite her own heartbreak, the moment she heard what occurred at the bayou that day, Cadence traveled to the bayou as quickly as she could. She wanted to grieve Kieran but the pain she felt after losing the man didn't matter at that moment. Not when her children had been in danger that day and she hadn't even known. They came first for her, no matter what.