21

OUTCASTS
— 21. An Unblinking Death

  In the attic of Saint Anne's Church, Cami, Cadence, and Josh struggled to keep Kieran pinned to the wall as Cadence tried to give him some water

In the attic of Saint Anne's Church, Cami, Cadence, and Josh struggled to keep Kieran pinned to the wall as Cadence tried to give him some water. "Begone, demon!" He shouted out and Cadence sighed in response.

"Come on, just one sip," She encouraged him in an assuring tone.

"No, no!" Kieran shouted, just before slapping the cup out of Cadence's hand. The cup was thrown across the room and shattered upon impact with the ground.

He turned to Cadence, glaring at her hatefully as Josh kept a tight grip on him while drenched in water. "I know who you are, you hateful bitch."

Cadence stared at Kieran, her eyebrows raised in concern. She watched as he turned back to Josh, his eyes softening as he gave him a sympathetic look.

  "Oh, Sean, I tried to help you. I tried to save you, but this city--" He paused, glancing over at Cadence before back at Josh, "This city is full of monsters."

"Uh, yeah. Trust me, I know," Josh replied, causing Cadence to sigh as she exchanged a knowing look with him, "Remind me to never piss off a witch."

Cadence raised her brows and nodded her head in agreement. "Trust me, I know. Been there, done that. Never again."

Just then, Kieran let out a loud groan and before any of them could react, he headed straight for the ground. He began to shake while groaning in pain, which led to Cami and Cadence rushing over to him.

"Help me lay him on his side," Cami demanded and both Cadence and Josh were quick to assist her.

They turned him onto his side and after a few moments, Kieran began to pant as he reverted back to his normal self.

He turned to Cadence, who had a look in his eyes he had never seen before. Genuine fear. "Cadence," He stated in a calm tone, causing Cadence to stare at him in shock.

"Uncle Kieran?" She called out in a soft whisper, only to watch as Kieran began to frantically shake his head.

He was reverting back to his hexed self. He growled, roughly tugging his arm out of Cadence's grip as he glared at her. "What do you want from me?" He asked, quickly scooting away from Cadence in fear.

Cami stared at Kieran in shock for a moment, just before turning to Josh and Cadence. "You saw that, right?" She desperately asked them, "It was just for a second, but...it was him."

Cadence sighed and stared down at Kieran. He was tightly gripping the cross around his neck as he stared up at him.

"I don't know, Cami," Josh replied while Cadence's attention remained on Kieran, "I mean, maybe he's still in there underneath all the crazy, but the crazy is pretty thick."