Chapter 40: Something Light Hearted

"No, no, my cards." Jounouchi tried to keep the cards from Mana as he played. The sun was already starting to set. He rubbed his eyes and yawned. "I summon . . . um."

"You're too tired and worn out," Kaiba complained. "We've played this whole day away, but I wish I had even more practice with someone better."

"I wish we could have gone to Ultimate Cards," Jounouchi complained. "We all don't get what we want."

"Please don't fight," Shizuka said between them. "Katsuya. Seto. You should get along more. We've all had hard lives, there's no reason to make them harder with fighting against each other."

Jounouchi scoffed. "Tell that to Kaiba."

"She just finished doing that," Kaiba said. "I'm trying, Shizuka." He glanced toward Jounouchi. "I mean, Shizuka Kawai."

"Boy, just do anything to impress to keep your dragon," Jounouchi said back.

"That isn't getting along, Katsuya," Shizuka warned him. "Please."

Yuugi was over in the other corner, trying to fight against Bakura while Atem was resting in a corner, staring out the hotel lobby's window. Well? Not quite staring.

"Shizuka, I wish to speak with you." Atem moved from his spot. "You should be practicing your cards to. Come this way."

Atem led her away from the lobby. "How are you feeling?" He looked back toward her. She wasn't moving as fast. "Is something wrong?"

"No. Yes," she admitted. "You're an egyptian pharoah."

So? "I am still playing cards for the sake of my friends and the Earth. We both have the same target. I want to test your skills."

"I'm not very good, and you are really good," she said to him. "Weren't you unbeatable? I think I heard about that. Sort of. Atem?"

Yes. Good point, Atem didn't really speak much to Shizuka as himself. "I just want to see your skills."

"I'm not playing though. I'm just a card," Shizuka answered.

"Are you not?" Atem moved closer. "Are you not ready to sacrifice yourself to save Mokuba Kaiba for Seto Kaiba?"

Ah, a break. "How did you . . .?"

"Kaiba was furious, and he wouldn't just push everything aside to save the Earth if it meant sacrificing Mokuba. He has some kind of ace in the hole. You two have been about as affectionate as I have seen Kaiba be with someone. That means you must have seen the loophole that can save Mokuba. It may cost your life," Atem warned her. "Yet you seem to know that. So does Kaiba."

Shizuka looked uncomfortable. "I'm not . . . really . . . he doesn't want to lose his little brother, and he has to for the sake of someone else. I want to make him happy."

Atem stared at her. "Then you should think carefully about what you can do to survive. I believe you might be more important to Kaiba than as the wielder of the dragon as well."

"What are you doing all the way over here talking?" Kaiba complained.

Atem watched as Kaiba lightly touched Shizuka's fingers, almost subconsciously. "It was only speaking."

"She likes getting out and seeing new places with aid. Independently, she'd rather be in the same surroundings, so taking her down a hall she didn't even come through isn't a good idea." He gestured to a broken mirror that was just ahead, pointed out an opened door, and gestured to a line of cable on the edges of the floor.

Oh yes. "You care for her sake a great deal, Kaiba."

"She is the wielder of the Blue-Eyes. I take that seriously," he covered up. "Shizuka, it's your choice. You can continue down the hall but be aware there are hazards, or you can come back."