7

Natasha and Lauren's bickering has been their way of distracting themselves from the fact that their best friend is under the control of a literal god.

Fury's annoyed.

He's order Lauren to check up on Stark and Banner in the lab.

"I think Loki's trying to wind us up. This is a man who means to start a war and if we don't stay focused, he'll succeed. We have orders. We should follow them."

She sees Steve's back, seemingly confronting Stark. No surprises there. Banner just tries to quietly get his work done.

The minute Lauren steps into the lab, her eyes lock on the scepter. She starts feeling a little woozy. She almost loses her balance. She knocks over a tray, and all eyes are on her.

" Ma'am? Are you alright?" Steve asks as he helps her up.

" Fine."

Lauren takes a deep breath and stands up straight.

" Stark, Banner, Director Fury requests an update on your experimentation with the scepter and finding the Cube," She says.

" You can shoot fire from your palm and Fury has you being his messenger? Ouch," Tony responds.

" I'm just following orders," Lauren says as she crosses her arms.

" And why do I get the feeling that you're not the following type?"

" Excuse me?"

" Just find the Cube," Steve says as he steps in between the two.

 He offers his arm for Lauren to take and then escorts her out of the lab.

" Thank you, Captain," She says, " I can walk on my own now."

" Right, right. Apologies, " Steve says as he lets go of her arm.

Truth be told, neither of them wanted to let go.

In her head, she feels Natasha's emotions, and then she can hear her thoughts. It's something that she's only experienced with Natasha... so far. 

" I-I have to go," Lauren says, and then teleports to her friend.

Steve jumps back, still not used to her powers.

" Don't do it," She says.

" Do what?" Natasha asks.

All Lauren does is cross her arms and tilt her head.

" Well what do you suggest?" Natasha asks.

" Allow me."

Lauren teleports herself right outside of Loki's cage. He walks back and forth before he smiles.

"There's not many people who can sneak up on me."

"But you figured I'd come."

"After. After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm. And I would cooperate."

"We want to know what you've done to Agent Barton."

"I would say I've expanded his mind."

"And once you've won, once you're king of the mountain, what happens to his mind?"

"Is this love, Agent Stone?"

"Love is weakness. I owe him a debt."

"Tell me," He says, backing up and sitting on the seat in the cage.

"Before I worked for S.H.I.E.L.D.... we...Well, we made names for ourselves. We have a very specific skill set. We didn't care who we used it for... or on. We got on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s radar in a bad way. Agent Barton was sent to kill us. He made a different call."

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him?"

"Not let you out."

"No, but I like this. Your world in the balance and you bargain for one man."

"Regimes fall everyday. I tend not to weep over that. I'm Russian. Or was"

"And what are you now?"

"It's really not that complicated. I got red in my ledger, I'd like to wipe it out."

"Can you? Can you wipe out that much red? Dreykov's daughter?"

The moment those two words left his lips, Lauren tenses. Her eyes widen and her jaw clenches.

 "São Paulo, the hospital fire? Barton told me everything about you and Romanoff. Your ledgers are dripping. They're gushing red and you think saving a man no more virtuous than yourself will change anything? The is the basest sentimentality. This is a child at prayer. Pathetic! You lie and kill in the service of liars and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code, something that makes up for the horrors. But they are part of you. And they will never go away. They will stay with you. In your mind until you're driven to the brink of insanity and wishing for something as sweet as release. You think your powers make you special... but they only make you a threat to everyone else" 

He bangs his fist on the glass, making Lauren jump.

" I won't touch Barton, not until I make him kill you. Slowly, intimately, in every way he knows you fear. And then he'll wake just long enough to see his good work and when he screams, I'll split his skull. This is my bargain, you mewling quim."

Lauren turns her back to him, sniffing and shaking.

"You're a monster."

"Oh, no. You brought the monster."

"So, Banner."

When she turns around, Loki sees her emotionless face with no tears.

"That's your play."

"What?", Loki asks.

"Loki means to unleash the Hulk. Keep Banner in the lab. I'm on my way. Send Thor as well."

Before Lauren walks out, she turns on her heel to face Loki.

" Thank you, for your cooperation."