Behind the Scenes: Remember

I wrote the original story four years ago, when I first started publicly sharing my writing. It was inspired by my discomfort when I visited my siblings at their apartment complex and saw that the patio was shared with everyone else and led to a dog walk path.

At the time, I lived in a studio on a high floor, so it made me uneasy to see people moseying about outside while we watched TV or ate. This discomfort merged with an article I read that talked about burglars disguising themselves as movers so they can steal in broad daylight, and the original story was born.

Looking back at it all these years later, I felt it was missing a certain oomph. It was straightforward fear, but it had potential to be more, especially when I noticed my inadvertent repetition of "You're doing well," and "remain calm," which could seem as soothing as it is disconcerting.

On one my insomniatic nights, the idea for this story budded, of a character being forced to relive the same memory that has been warped in different ways due to trauma, guilt, and grief. I felt the repetition of the 911 operator's dialogue would work well, and I could play around with various scenarios, one of which can include the original story.

If you've read the story, let me know what you think. I’m always open to feedback, suggestions, and critique!

And if you liked this story, you can find it in "The Hand in Mine: and six other twisted stories with an Emotional Core", available on Amazon! If you do purchase it, I'd greatly appreciate an honest review. :)

 :)