31. ⚔ Reyna Gets Coffee with Dr. Chase

_____

6. We want the gods to have mutual respect for their mortal and immortal partners.

_____

While Annabeth was busy studying, Reyna took advantage of her free time to double-check some of the things that Annabeth had said about the gods. One of the more troubling claims that Annabeth had made was that gods and mortals could never be equals, so their relationships would be unbalanced by their very nature.

Plus, Reyna had heard her whole life about how demigods were just used as tools by the gods. Reyna had always dismissed it as dogmatic, but maybe there was some truth to both ideas. Reyna would listen and learn, not judge.

She reached out to Annabeth's father for coffee. She had to ask him some questions. Apparently, he had known that Athena was a Greek goddess, but he hadn't wanted a child at the time. He didn't say that he hadn't wanted kids, but it was apparent enough to Reyna, based on what Annabeth had said. Dr. Chase was a tactful person. Now that he had a daughter, he couldn't very well admit he hadn't wanted to bring a child into the world.

They met at a restaurant on a pier and ordered coffee. Reyna had shown up in sweatpants, so she felt a little underdressed when Dr. Chase arrived with his business casual attire, including a classy watch, argyle vest, and loafers.

They exchanged pleasantries. Eventually Reyna got up the nerve to ask him, "Were you ready to be a parent when Annabeth was born?"

"Is anybody really ready when their first child is born?" asked Dr. Chase as he drank from his espresso. Blissfully, fog had rolled into the bay. Reyna was still happy for the coolness of the air following the heat wave at Camp Jupiter.

"Did you know Athena was planning on having a baby with you?"

His brown eyes were friendly, so different from the storm clouds that rolled through Annabeth's. He smiled. "Why? Are you planning on having a baby?"

Reyna blushed. "No. I'm just curious."

Dr. Chase's hands ran through his curly, sand-color hair. "No, of course I didn't know what she was planning. I didn't...I..It's such an enormous responsibility that I hadn't known was an option. I didn't know that the intellectual meeting of minds could bring forth...a baby. Annabeth. I'm so grateful that she's in my life, of course. I wouldn't have it any other way. I just can't imagine a life for myself where I'm not a father. But I didn't know that Athena..." Dr. Chase trailed off as he searched for the right words. "I didn't know Athena...could do that, you know? I'm so glad Annabeth is in my life, though. She brought us into a bigger family. That's such a remarkable thing. I wouldn't have met half the incredible people that I know now if I hadn't met Athena. If I hadn't met Annabeth. And from what I hear, you're a really good friend."

"Thank you. What was something you wish you'd known about raising a demigod child before she had been born?"

"Uh, I wish someone had told me how dangerous it was. I wish someone had told me what I would need to do to prevent monster attacks. I honestly had no idea that monsters even existed still."

"You knew that Athena existed. Wouldn't that mean that the monsters from mythology still existed?"

"I didn't expect them to attack our home. No child should have to grow up like that."

"Why did Annabeth run away?"

Dr. Chase frowned. "I was...I was a bad parent. I was unprepared. I didn't give her the life she deserved. I loved her, but she was in danger because of my...I was irresponsible."

"It sounds like Athena was the one who was irresponsible by springing a child on you like that."

"Athena knew what she was doing. She's the goddess of wisdom. She was doing what was best for all of us."

"How is your relationship with Annabeth now?"

He perked up. "It's so much better now. I think she understands the position that I was put in a lot better now. There's a lot of respect between us now."

"How's your relationship with Athena?"

"Good."

Dr. Chase had told a story about Annabeth. He had given a curt, one-word answer about Athena. Interesting. Reyna wondered whether mortals felt like they could truly speak openly, or if they were afraid that the gods were eavesdropping. So Reyna asked, "Do you think that the other gods prepare their mortal partners for life with a demigod child?"

He shook his head. "I don't think so. Based on conversations I've had with other parents, it seems like a lot of people are blindsided by the birth of their demigod children. None of us knew what kinds of responsibilities lay ahead just because of our relationship with gods. And if a god wants a child but you don't, what are you supposed to say? No?"

"What happens to people who say no?"

"I think they get turned into bricks or something."

Reyna stewed a little. It was kind of funny, but it was upsetting. Dr. Chase was right. There were a lot of stories about mortals whose lives were ruined because they had spurned a god.

Reyna asked, "Then how are other mortals' relationships with their divine partners?"

"Oh, wow," said Dr. Chase. He put his coffee down and leaned back, hands on his knees. He looked over the water to think. "That's a good question. I can't imagine that the mortals are particularly happy, to be honest. I don't even think that the mortals are always prepared to be the, well...You know, because a lot of the gods are married. I was lucky that Athena was unmarried, but I know that there are other parents who are put in awkward positions—oh, like Sally Jackson!—because Poseidon was married when Percy was born."

"That must be awkward."

"Must be."

There was a lull in their conversation. Reyna looked around and absorbed the ambiance of the seaside coffee shop. Inside, there were twinkling fairy lights, a family with a big fluffy dog asleep under their legs, partners holding hands, and college students working on their laptop computers over cups of coffee. Reyna turned back to the conversation.

"Your family was split apart based on ancestry. Magnus and Annabeth had a falling out because they're from different mythological backgrounds. How do you feel about the practice of splitting up families based on ancestry?"

"It's a shame," said Dr. Chase. He picked up his coffee and looked over the water as boats sped by them. "It's such a shame."

"Why do the gods have children with mortals, anyway?" asked Reyna.

"In general? Uh, I guess...demigods can go where the gods can't."

"So when Athena met you, was her plan to have Annabeth in order to save the world?"

"No, I don't think she was just using me. She genuinely loved me."

"Percy says that his father told him, to his face, that Poseidon genuinely loved Sally Jackson. And that Percy had been a mistake. Was Annabeth--?"

"No," said Dr. Chase, firmly. "Annabeth was a surprise; she knows that. But she wasn't a mistake."

"So in general, do you think that the gods love their mortal partners?"

Dr. Chase nodded. "I hope so."

"And are their children brought into the world out of necessity? or passion?"

"Both."

"But you said that a lot of mortal parents are helpless to raise their demigod children."

Dr. Chase finished his coffee. "The gods are cruel."

~~~

A/N: Thank you for your support!