13. 🌩🛡 Jupiter & Nerio

Part II

3000 years ago

Seventeen gods sat around the table in their ten-foot tall human forms. Some of them were full-fledged Olympians; the other five were minor war gods. There was a skirmish on the outskirts of Rome, so a portion of each god's attention was focused on managing the conflict. They each still managed to show up on time to Jupiter's meeting. Jupiter was glad he would not have to punish his brethren for tardiness. It was so tiring to be chopping gods into small bits all the time.

"I am glad to see everyone here," said Jupiter. "Not you, Neptune."

Neptune grumbled and several boats capsized.

Jupiter found such wanton destruction amusing. Six men were killed. That was exactly what they deserved for being so utterly useless.

As Jupiter scanned the room, he sensed warlike energy from all the other gods. For some reason, however, Jupiter sensed that Nerio did not find the boat destruction amusing. At least Jupiter still had a sense of humor, for Fates' sake. Not everything had to be analyzed for cultural value. You don't have to psychoanalyze a horse to plow a field. It wasn't like the mortals who were killed would be missed.

When Mars cleared his throat rather loudly, Jupiter turned his attention back to the topic at hand.

Jupiter said, "I have called you all today because there have been a lot of comments about how many war gods there are in Rome. Now, I love war, but I think it's time to consolidate."

Juno crossed her arms. "This is ridiculous. I'm obviously not going anywhere."

"I never said you were, dear," said Jupiter very diplomatically. He was really proud of himself for not getting mad at Juno, even though she had interrupted him, the king of the gods. Jupiter patted Juno's hand. "When you wear your goatskin cloak, you are a central god to Rome. One of many central war gods, I might add. Which is a problem considering that there are so many war gods. Diana, do you have a roll call?"

Well done, thought Jupiter. He always did a great job in all things that he attempted. For instance, he was quite skilled at throwing lightning bolts at mortals, his favorite pastime. It made all the mortals shrink in fear and cry out and try to appease him. Watching those little humans squirm was the spice of life.

Diana stood and bowed in Jupiter's direction. He liked her because she was his daughter, but it annoyed him that she was a sworn maiden. It meant that he would not receive any grandchildren from her, which he deserved because he had gone through the trouble to sire her.

Diana did not bow to Juno, which pleased Jupiter. Jupiter noticed Juno crossed her arms in annoyance. That pleased him even more.

Diana said, "Yes, Lord Father. There are currently eight war gods. It is up to the Council to decide who will remain."

The expression of all the war gods turned grim.

Exile was the worst punishment for an immortal because it could end in death. Some gods called him cruel for enacting such punishment, but there were costs for everything. Someone had to keep the realm of mortals, monsters, and gods in balance. Sometimes casting minor gods out was necessary to limit the power of monsters. For minor gods like Honos and Virtus, it was a true threat.

"We will consolidate to four war gods," announced Jupiter. "Three of you will be relegated to legend. Eventually."

The truth was that Jupiter had already decided which three gods were going to face banishment, but he was parading as though he wanted approval from the rest of the Council. If minor gods got mad, their energy would be wasted trying to take down an entire Council instead of one god. It was genius, if Jupiter said so himself.