Peace with a Ghost

I finally fell asleep.

George laid in bed with me, strumming his fingers through my blonde hair and detangling every curl and scratching gently at my scalp. As much as I tried I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I changed our positions around a little bit to where I was spooning him and our legs were entangled in each other unknowingly. I remember just barely fluttering my eyes to blink his fluffy well kept hair out my eyes, but then I was just out. I fell asleep.

I woke in my dark room and jumped up immediately searching for George. When I heard a little mumble and whine at my side I let out the largest sigh one ever could. I looked down to see now awake dark brown eyes staring back up at me and a face with exactly 17 freckles which I counted a night before as the boy slept in my lap on the couch. He smiled up at me and I smiled down at him. He opened his pale arms wide, asking to cuddle back together for a few more minutes. I complied as always. No way I would ever refuse a cuddle session with George who I've loved for years. When I leaned into his chest he strained his neck and gently kissed the top of my head before softly speaking.

"I'm proud of you, you know that, right?" I look up at him and he has the cutest double chin smile someone could ask for. I nod, "Okay, good." He says before relaxing back onto the pillow underneath us. I relax back into his chest, but before letting my body try and drift asleep I reach up and place a kiss on George's neck. I don't even have to look up to know that he's blushing and smiling away right now. I feel a question bottle up from inside my refreshed brain, though. Knowing it was going to keep me awake, I asked George.

"Why are you proud exactly?" My voice feels so smooth from not only talking a lot more but also from the fresh sleep I just awoke from. I love it so much.

It takes George a few moments before he comes up with something he's satisfied with.

"Because I know how hard it is to get out of that hell hole called depression. I'm proud you're healing, I never could." I cock my head to the side in a tad bit of confusion. He never could? What is he talking about? I shake it off and decide I might bring it up later.

We end up sleeping in for another four hours. I feel free.