A Rare Occasion

Present Day Three Months After George's Death...

George and I decided it was time to go grocery shopping, he started to complain about not having any fresh meats or vegetables to cook delicious dinners with. Recently, we've been eating ramen noodles and macaroni, it was starting to become a little irritating for the both of us. So, on a nice warm sunny day we chose to go out and shop for these fresh and delectable items.

We hopped in my car like normal, since George never learned American driving, and drove off. I admired how bright and sunny it was, with the wind rushing from the open sunroof above our heads. I felt great and I'm sure George was content with his closed and relaxed smile. As much as I adored outside, my eyes always trailed onto George.

His brunette hair reflected perfectly in the warm sunlight and his freckles, even though very few, were clearer as ever. His pink lips, which he's gently kissed me with, are still smooth and beautiful. I don't just marvel over his looks, but I also cherish all he's done for me in the last month. Not only has he given me the touch I've been deprived of, but he's helped me out of my deep, and I mean, deep hole of sadness and anger. I don't even remember what I was so upset and uptight about.

"I love you George." I say out of the blue, causing him to flick his head over to face me. Even though my eyes were set back onto the black pavement below my car, I could see in the corner of my eye his smile increase in size. Whenever he smiles I giggle, it's the sweetest thing and my heart wishes to explode every time.

"I love you too," he hums sweetly, pulling one of my hands away from the steering wheel to hold. He rubs every knuckle, calmly massaging my warm hand with his abnormally cold ones. I look down at our intertwined hands and my smile never leaves, I've never been so happy.

----

Inside the store we just walk about and grab what we need. I grab the cart and he's up ahead already in the veggie selection grabbing orange and red bell peppers, wrapping them neatly in a green toned plastic bag. When he turns to go to the onions, I follow him leaving the empty cart near the not very ripe bananas. I come up behind him and wrap my arms tenderly around his waist. He leans back into the embrace just enough to tell me he knows and I didn't startle him in any way, I love him so much.

"What's up Clay?" He asks quietly, soon moving away from the onions and away to the shopping cart. I'm forced to let go so he can do what he needs to in an orderly fashion. I simply drag behind him as he takes control over the cart and moves to where the lettuce is currently being rinsed

"Nothing, I'm just- I can't thank you enough. You've done so much for me." I tell him once I've figured out my words. He turns around and throws me a welcoming smile. "How about I cook dinner tonight..." George tries to interrupt me with a 'no' but I cut him off, "... Just this once! Please?" I beg him to let me do this one thing for him. After all, it's not like he's a fallen guardian angel of sorts, here to protect me and care for me.

"Fine, just this once." He holds up one finger seriously, making me laugh in success. I would finally be able to spoil him after a whole month of him taking care of me like a baby bird that's fallen from a tree during a storm. He could stop being my mother bear, protective over every single thing.

----

The rich smell of seasoned steak and freshly sauteed asparagus makes my mouth water and my heart beam cockily. I've been a decent cook, however I would much rather let someone else cook or go out. I stir the asparagus around in the pan of extra virgin oil and some classic sea salt, for a little longer before placing it carefully onto the plates which already had the medium rare steaks.

I walk out of my kitchen and to the table where George is already sitting reading something in the monthly magazines I got. He looks up and smiles before putting away the waxy, stapled papers.

"Already done?" he asks gingerly as he takes one of the plates out of my hand. I nod and go back into the kitchen for two glasses of water. The ice rattles out of my fridge and the water comes with a push of a button. When I come back with the water George hasn't eaten a single bite, still waiting ever so patiently. He thanks me for the water and lets me sit before picking up his silver fork and steak knife to taste the juicy steak on his plate. I sit and watch, waiting to see his reaction.

"Wow, Clay! This is, just , wow!" He quickly cuts another slice and puts it in his mouth. I'm beaming, happy with his reaction I go to taste my own cooking. My knife cuts smoothly through the steak and barely any of the seasoned blood exits the steak as I poke my fork through my bite sized slice. I place it into my watering mouth and I nearly have the same reaction as George.

We continue to eat in a blissful quiet, enjoying every last lick of salt and pepper on our plates. I dab the outside of my mouth clean from whatever residue it may have and lean back into my wooden chair, full and happy. George sighs, having eaten all of his meal for the first time we've lived together. He looks up at me and reaches for my hand that rested on the table.

"Thanks for the meal, it was delicious." He states affectionately rubbing my knuckles with his thin thumb. I give him a grateful smile and bring his hand up to my face to give it a loving kiss.

"Thank you for letting me cook, finally." I laugh half heartedly and let our hands rest back on the table. I love these little peaceful moments we have together, it feels like a dream or some type of illusion at times. But when I feel George's body cuddle into mine as we sleep or his cold hand in mine, I'm reminded that it has to be real. It must be.