34 - *As The World Caves In Part 1*

Chapter 34 – As The World Caves In Part 1

Wanda drifted into the spare changing room with a distracted look in her eyes. After Ophelia left her on the balcony, the voice of Tony Stark was like cold water pouring over her dreamlike state. The young witch immediately tried to get as far away from the billionaire as possible, his voice grating her ears with persistent eagerness. A constant reminder for everything she has lost.

Where had her original mission gone? She still hated the Stark heir, his mere presence able to draw dark mutterings of murder and justice. It took up her thoughts as she saw the silver hair of Pietro peak out of the closet. What happened to years of wishing for justice?

Her brother shrugged out of his worn shirt and slid on a more comfortable athletic top as he greeted her on arrival.

"You didn't get lost, did you? That would be very embarrassing." Pietro teased, snapping Wanda out of her haze of confusion.

"Your concern is appreciated," Wanda answered, rolling her eyes as she whipped off her red shawl.

The dry tone to his twin's voice caught his attention for a minute, sensing that there was something very off with her.

"We don't need to be here, you know." Pietro slowly approached her as she was putting on new boots set aside for her.

"Say the word and we'll run. Well, I'll run, and you can jump on my back, but the point is, if you don't want to be around him, we don't have to." He rambled slightly, sitting down on the bench so Wanda could look him in the eye.

Her face softened as she looked at the concern in his eyes; the honesty that told Wanda he was serious about his offer. For nearly a decade, the only people the twins could rely on were each other. Despite all the pain and torment in their lives, despite their family being torn apart and their country in ruins; everything would be okay if they still had each other.

"If we run, we'll be no better than Ultron." Wanda softly sighed, reaching out to take one of his hands. "We helped make this happen, it's only fair we help end it."

"Even if it's Stark?" Pietro spat, a scowl crossing his face at the thought of the billionaire.

"Remember what papa used to say?" Wanda suddenly asked, earning a perplexed look from him. "If you make a mess, you have to clean it up yourself."

"Ultron is our mess." Pietro finished Wanda's thought, a resigned look on his face.

"And we have to clean it up. And if we have to work with the Avengers this one time, so be it." Wanda shrugged nonchalantly.

"You know if they weren't all complete assholes. I think I'd like them." Pietro pondered as he stood up to reach for a pair of trainers.

"With your need to always be the hero, I think you'd fit in with them." Wanda chuckled under her breath, spotting a red jacket that had been left for her that she immediately gravitated towards.